Using no planaria advice

OzShrimp

Well i am using my No planaria for the first time, am i better half dosing or just full dose?

I am guessing 4 scoops for standard 4 ftr since it is about 208 litres and 1 spoonful per 50 litres. Just want any advice to avoid loss of shrimp aswell

My advice is don't bother using "no planaria" you have 50/50

Chance of killing shrimp. It's a real hit and miss product.

Stick with internal paracite product from aquotix. Can't go wrong

hmmmm well i jsut did one scoop already lol. My internal parasite clear wont come until end of next week tho so whats likelyhood of losing my shrimp ?

gonna do water change to try get most of it out of tank now :(

PLanaria dont kill adult shrimp do they ? mainly just shrimplets ?

shits going down hill lol, just took out lots of water and realised got no seachem stability to add to new water ARRRRGh wanna scream

well fingers crossed i have no more dramas until i get internal parasite clear, have added carbon to canister filter and did a substantial w/c

"no planaria" is over rated I'm my opinion. It's a gamble using that product, I 've lost crystals and cherries using no planaria. Didnt kill alot of shrimps but still they were personal collection.

• HOF Member

Oh Oz you are in the wars aren't you:( hope it all goes OK for you:encouragement:

well i did a 25% water c hange with rain water, added carbon to the filter (and my lounge room floor) so fingers crossed. Just adds to my woes at the moment things arent going so great with my tank lol

I have used No Planaria with no issues, but as others have said it seems to be hit and miss. I didn't see any shrimp deaths from my planaria, when I had them. So waiting until the end of the week shouldnt be an issue, and it's better to lose a couple of shrimp than having mass deaths from the No Planaria. Incidentally my tank that I treated is the same volume as yours, and I did a full dose, half dose and then another full dose because there were still planaria cruising about. I didn't lose any shrimp from doing this.

If you are dead set on using no planaria then google your batch number to see if anyone has had a problem with it.

added carbon to the filter (and my lounge room floor)

Does this mean you've increased your carbon footprint, the greenies won't be happy to hear about this, hahaha :smiley_simmons:

Does this mean you've increased your carbon footprint' date=' the greenies won't be happy to hear about this, hahaha :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

hand print to lol

I've used no planaria about 2-3 years ago I would never use it again as there is a chance of killing shrimp.

i slowly killed my shrimp, when I say slowly that means the population was dropping and babies disappearing.

Well definately no more dosing of it for me :) hopefully the carbon will do a good job, only negative i have seen from that 1 scoop is my golden has lost its color

Just put in my first dose of Internal Parasite Clear and few hours in I have noticed some shriveled up hydra already...will let you guys know how it pans out but looks good so far, shrimp are active as ever that includes shrimplets as well.

please do! look forward to your outcome :) the more reviews the better. I wonder if they will end up advertising it targetting planaria and hydra aswell.

have you thought of building a trap for the planaria instead of chemically treating them... pretty much drill a hole in the bottom of a water bottle, put a bit of meat in the water bottle and the planaria climb into the bottle at the bottom, but try to exit out the top with the light and hence get trapped.. rinse and repeat till you have no planaria... im sure google has much better explanations than mine :-)

I have found in the past that even when i didn't kill my shrimp with no planaria the females went off getting berried for 2 months after.

Sam

Update on Internal Parasite Clear...This product is great! It is more effective on hydra I found all hydra disappeared after first dose, for planaria after the first dose little baby planaria remained I guess these were the ones hiding in substrate...after 2nd dose I still noticed 1-2 tiny ones so dosed again and not a single one in sight for 2 days now! In conclusion killed all hydra and planaria when used correctly and did not harm any shrimp what so ever. One thing to note though is that it also wiped out my snails so another use for it!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't understand how this can kill planarian, hydra and snails yet have no supposed affect on the shrimp. Can we please get an update on this, have you lost any shrimp from this tank in last month? Cheers jc

Not sure how it works, sorry, but Dean did a thorough test on the Internal Parasite Clear with no deaths. He even tried it on his TB tank!

I had no deaths when I used it too, but I only used it on a cherry tank.

Cool thanks for the feedback. If a few have tested with good results then I am sold too. Many thanks.

• Like 1