Benibachi Cycle?

JohnH

I added Benibachi soil to one tank in my 4 tank rack system yesterday. I've isolated the tank so it isn't running through the sump and it just has a sponge filter running in it.

The water has cleared today so I gave the water a test and it is reading 0.5 ppm of ammonia. Should I leave the tank isolated and let it cycle by itself or should I let the tank run through the system and just do water changes on the whole system? My rack system is cycled and the 3 other tanks have shrimp in them, but not huge amount, so the bacteria colony in my sump would have to play catch up = mini cycle. Thoughts?

Perhaps do a WC to the isolated tank, and run it through the system. Check for ammonia after 4+ hours. Another 5-10% WC wouldnt hurt ....

I have done the same thing, gunna do a water change on that tank only then run it through the system at a really slow pace. Just a bit more than a dribble.

Cool, I did a water change in the Benibachi tank and have set the flow at a dribble through the sump system to it.