Check out thes snails

northboy

Hi Nogi

I know the top one as Melanoides denisoniensis, but Ben and I argue about that all the time it is a Melanoides at least

The bottom one is a Neritina unidentified at the moment, not enough time to send it away for ID and remembering to do it as well, there is one OS the same but it usually turns out the Australian ones are different??? one thing for sure, its a dam fine algae eater and it has reproduced for me, but I don't know how little ones turned up

Bob

We dont argue over which species it is but we argue over the correct scientific name. Its not Melanoides Bob, its Stenomelania denisoniensis. Melanoides is a old synonym for Stenomelania for this species. 

Anyway taxonomic semantics aside, you cant tell those snails apart from MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) based on their shell - (there are differences but you need to be a snail scientist to figure it out) and they breed in exactly the same manner too - live young released as minature adults ready to go. 

Those Neritina are Gorgeous! Plus they are said to be good algae eaters

Edited by Matuva

They certainly are. Here is some shots from my chameleon tank after I added one.

P1040453-P50.thumb.jpg.b8e0584846cd3f4ed

P1040454-P50.thumb.jpg.1942d122f6aad2b01

P1040456-P50.thumb.jpg.27f6ec31310ac290e

LOL, Ben I love it when the change the names, its like the crabs the family name has changed on them, but I stick with the old one. See we do argue about it. Got to have some fun life is to short

Al,  they are the best algae eater as good as or better than a Bristlenose

That snail name is the one the museum gave me 6 years ago, I know get with the times LOL

Bob