Check out thes snails

northboy

Hi All

I was out the other night looking for Snails and have a look at what I cam up with.

063640x360_zpsee720c1a.jpg

027640x360_zps1383d8c9.jpg

Saved the best one to last

052640x360_zpsd6477ea2.jpg

Bob

• Like 2

Notopala, nerite, nerite?

Nice snails mate! You get the coolest stuff up there!

Those notopalas when they poop, they do clusters of short gray ones and they dump it all at once on top of each other.

I have a few and was so confused at the dung pyramids every morning.

• HOF Member

I have come to look at snails in a whole new light since seeing your varieties there are some truly beautiful snails there!:encouragement:

Yep Notopala kingi and Nerite X 2.

I am glad people are starting to look a Snails differently, they are not all pests some are very useful and pretty. We have SO many here and its not only the OS people that have them.

Bob

I've always loved snails. Love the natives especially. There's some cold water natives down here too, not as pretty, not anywhere near. Plus the two that i've found are plant gobblers.

Nice Bob, I like the 2nd and 3rd ones best. Is one of these the one that was producing eggs cases that we were talking about earlier?

Very cool snails Bob, that last one has the most stunning fractal pattern, thanks for sharing :encouragement:

Sure are Ben, I have not proceeded down that path yet, must get finger out and must get finger out and send you some Zebs

Bob

I'm waiting patiently to get those zebs in the tank I set up for them. At least it is well cycled!

Don't forget the moss and the blue shell Melanoides snails too!

They are some great snails there Bob, as far as I know I still have the little spikey shelled guys but they hide too well and if they aren't buried in the sand then I think they are inside the huge hollow log in their tank.

Those little spiky guys get to 7cm in length, more common at 5cm though.

Do you want some of the Barney springs Cherax depresses wassellii the biggest is 5cm

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about the yabbies, I really like my little guy, who has grown to the grand new length of 2cm. I am just worried if he is some other species of yabby putting it with another type. I will see if I can get it to co-operate and get some new pics of it. But I warn you now any algea on the glass the snails are slowly cleaning. Talking of snails, I have 3 Waterhouse snails and was wondering if there is any special tricks to getting them to breed? Also do you have any more of the nerite snails, the remaining two from the 4 you sent down are doing great.

Beautiful snails, Bob! I'm really jalous of all the creatures you can find up there where you live.

I really need to win the competition next year.....or maybe I should just move to Queensland :D

Far North Queensland = Paradise for nature lovers.

I was looking at some Butterflies yesterday and there was 11 species and about 200 feeding on flowers.

Bob

It sounds amazing, Bob. I will have to save up for a trip to visit you there next year or so. :)

I was so ignorant to all the beauty of nature when i was up there :( I lived in Townsville for about 2 years, shame I didnt join this group 6 months earlier, I used to go up to Cairns all the time!

It never stops amazing me. I was on a board walk at Cape Tribulation one time and there was a big tide.

I asked ever body I passed and Guided tour Groups had the seen the Mangrove Jacks (40cm+), Moray eels, Blubber lips and numerous other species swimming around with there backs out of the water? No, then had they seen the Boyd's Forest Dragons on the Trees? No, had the seen the Butterfly's? no and some of them had Guide's!! well dam don't people look walking through the forest.

I look with my ears first?

Bob

Some people do seem to wonder around not seeing the forest for the trees. My fondest memories of Arnhem Land where sitting in the class room riveted watching out the window at the kites and sea eagles doing their breeding displays of sky tumbling, or roaming about on Mt Saunders looking out over the ocean and sitting on an exposed rock to once again watch the eagles. I like to see the small and tiny critters and plants that everyone else just passes by, take this fern that was growing on the steps up on Mt Archer for instance. P1010008-1_zps895a86f5.jpg

• 10 months later...

Just beautiful. I am also jealous of the range of flora and fauna up your way (except for those nasty lumps in the water).

• 2 months later...