rinsing shrimp soil

ineke

• HOF Member

Can anyone tell me if you are supposed to rinse benibachi soil before use. I didn't do it last time I used it and it was quite cloudy overnight but cleared up by morning. I didn't wash it because I thought it might wash away some of the ingredients needed to bring the WP up to speed. So should I rinse this time or not? I cant find any info on it- I know you need to rinse fluval.:encouragement:

I didn't rinse mine. It doesn't say to wash soil on the package.

I didnt rinse mine either. The dust cleared up pretty quickly...

• HOF Member

Thanks MrShrimp that's why I didn't wash it last time but I had a pkt of fluval and that said to rinse so I was a bit worried whether I had done the right thing. I just won't run the filter over night this time because they all got a bit clogged with the dust.I did put something over the soil and put the water in very slowly but still raised the dust.

Nope not suppose to rinse it as you will lose the fulvic grains that buffer the water....

• HOF Member

Thanks Torface well 3 out of three must mean we are right in not rinsing. :encouragement:

• HOF Member
Nope not suppose to rinse it as you will lose the fulvic grains that buffer the water....

Thanks Chi that was what I thought when I used it so will just put it in tomorrow.:encouragement:

Place soil in tank then place the empty bag on top of soil then slowly fill the tank, pouring water slowly on the bag as to not disturb the soil too much

• HOF Member

thanks Chi I did all that last time but still very dusty. I will take it easy when I do it to morrow. :encouragement:

I prefer glad wrap with a bunch of holes *****ed into it over the bag method.

You can pour it faster without the bag causing a stream at a certain point.

I filled up my tank by pouring it in with a 10L watering can so could fill pretty fast and had no cloudyness.

Just make sure there is a take away container or a piece of glass at the pour point otherwise you will get a divot :)

• HOF Member

I have recently tried bubble wrap and then using a colander and poured water slowly into that it helps to disperse the water -didnt know about that at the time just used the bubble wrap. Your way sounds good to might give that a go:encouragement:

I prefer glad wrap with a bunch of holes *****ed into it over the bag method.

You can pour it faster without the bag causing a stream at a certain point.

I filled up my tank by pouring it in with a 10L watering can so could fill pretty fast and had no cloudyness.

Just make sure there is a take away container or a piece of glass at the pour point otherwise you will get a divot :)

Not sure why punch got *****ed out...

Not sure why punch got *****ed out...

Because violence is not the answer on this forum!

Because violence is not the answer on this forum!

Hah that's brilliant!

• HOF Member

The filter is a bit strong I cant even shorten my hubbies name from alan to a l well I can when I cheat like that but not **

I think A_L is an abbreviation for another website that must be on the banned list?

I think A_L is an abbreviation for another website that must be on the banned list?

Must be.

I was talking about guppy fish the other day and the plural of that is a naughty word too... lol

• HOF Member

Aw Well we will get used to it I just have to go back and call my hubby Alan!!!:encouragement:

• HOF Member

I call him Alan most of the time anyway HE started calling himself ** a while ago!!!

the other night i filled a 2ft tank capped with 5 kg of benibachi super powder and didnt want it to mix with the larger grains underneath so after doing the initial part with the bag, which for me worked well as it was an 8L bag, however i ended up using 4mm airline siphoned from RO water above tank. this was to make sure all the grains wern't blown around as it took me a while to slope the soil the way i wanted it. there was minimal dust (i didnt wash the soil either and used approx 10kg) and 24hrs later it was clear and dust free.

it took ages tho :p

• HOF Member

My tanks are really clear now. Will take a picture a bit later just trying to catch up with all the new posts:encouragement:

Looks very cool Ineke but it's going to be a bit of a bummer when you need to remove the sponge to clean it :dejection: Don't worry though, I did the same thing & then someone pointed that out, all I could say was DOH!! :encouragement:

• HOF Member

So how do you clean it? How can you do it? Why didn't you warn me? LOL

Hubby already asked that but after I had finished:dejection: I guess when it needs to be done it will be an epic day of catching shrimp again!!! When I redo it how should I do it?