help with picking out the correct filter

ineke

• HOF Member

hi All'

Im looking to get my first canister filter or a hang on back filter- it is for a 100 litre tank divided by a sponge so needs a spray bar or ability to take water from 1 area and return it to another area of the tank- other side of the sponge. What size should I get as to litres per hour- I have been to 4 shops today and apart from prices being miles apart for the same thing the info given has me more confused than helped.

I don't have a huge budget but also don't want to just get one because it's cheap. Any suggestions? It will house Crystals and Michlings for now but should be good enough for higher quality down the track a bit. Once I've got a bit of an idea of the actual size I need I will research a bit more. If you have had a bad experience with a particular filter but cant name it on the forum a pm would be good but for now just help me out for what I should look for in a good filter would be great. I will also be running sponge filters in the tanks. Thanks- please don't confuse me anymore than I already am simple terms would be absolutely great.

Cheers:encouragement:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ineke

• Squiggle

• shrimpstan

• CNgo2006

The requirement of drawing from one side and returning to another rules out a hang on back. The ones I've seen literally draw a couple of centimetres

from the return so no good. For a 100L tank you're looking at generally at least a 600lhr to allow for pressure drop, I'd probably go for up to 1000lhr

if you can justify it, especially if you're looking at a spray bar for the return as that adds additional pressure as well.

• HOF Member

Thanks BigD. There are some no name brands available with uv light included that look good but don't give much info. Is there any particular one that you have success with? I have been using an UG filter in this tank and it's kept it really crystal clear but I'm changing to shrimp soil and have been told it will clog up so at a loss with brands and quality,

I ran an Aqua one 750 canister on a 3ft tank full of red cherries for over 12 months. I only decommisioned the tank when I built my rack system.

• HOF Member

Thanks John ive been looking at some that are similar and have a small uv light inside as well . It's a matter of picking a well known brand against not so well known the price differences are huge yet specs and warranties are the same

Hi have an eheim 2213 canister which is 440LPH, as well as a fleabay $40 800LPH canister running n 4footer. The eheim i've had for

12 years now and its still running perfectly which is amazing, I'm not sure if I've just been lucky or they're really that well built. The fleabay I've had for 6months now and it runs every well and as of yet I have not had any issues with it.

If I had to buy a canister again I would probably go with another fleabay canister, 1/4 of the price and does exactly the same job. I think from memory you can get a 1800LPH one with inbuilt UV for under $100

• HOF Member

Thanks Gravychic sounds like the cheaper ones I'm looking at I've started to read some bad reviews on the eheim now they are being built in china , noisy and power hungry. You probably have the original filter if its 12 years old. I have an old internal eheim that's absolutely great but the newer ones aren't as good.

You definitely can't beat the original Eheim Classic 2213, definitely the most reliable filter on the market but some people call me an Eheim snob, lol :smiley_simmons: I know it doesn't have a UV sterilizer but a good ten years plus out of it. My Eheim canisters have been going for about fifteen years now without any fault or failure :victorious:

• HOF Member

Yes Squiggle but the reviews for the new ones are not so good. I mentioned the internal one I have that's an oldie and has lasted for years without any problems I don't know if that would be good enough for the tank it's big enough but only runs on a sponge insert or my half sponge and purigen. It was great for my fish in that tank together with the UG filter. Need more bio material I think

Really? Even the "classic" series? They haven't changed design in twenty years, the "classic" series revolutionized the aquarium hobby :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I'm pretty sure since they changed where they are made the newer ones aren't up to standard. But that's just a few reviews I've read

• HOF Member

You know now I'm going to have doubts and won't be able to sleep and worry all night

Oh ok, I thought the bad reviews were about the newer model Eheims :confused:

Just to add to your confusion, my vote is for the eheim classic.... All my tanks have 2211's, 2213's, 2215's and 2217's.... Great filters, spares are readily available if required, and mine are quite. ;)

• HOF Member

Could be I will have another look tomorrow it's late now and my head is in a muddle. What ever I get I will have to order it soon to get it all cycled and the shrimp back in there

• HOF Member

Hi BB to save me wading through more reviews which size will I need for the 100 or slightly less litres.

• HOF Member

Great thanks Squiggle now just to get the nod from Alan* but that's for tomorrow he laying here snoring away better not wake him up:encouragement:

Keep an eye on my FS thread. There will be a 2213 up on that. #Shameless

Hi BB to save me wading through more reviews which size will I need for the 100 or slightly less litres.

Depends on head height, i.e. if the cannister is 1+ m below the tank, a larger capacity wouldn't hurt, as there'll be loss flow. Although too much flow/circulation can be an issue, there no such thing as over filteration. I'd go for the 2215, have the spray bar sitting about the water level, causing surface agitation, reducing circulation, and hava a higher flow rate....can't go wrong !

• HOF Member

The canister would be higher than that and I will be standing it on something to keep it out of the dogs way!

Check back in about 5 minutes. Ill put the 2213 on priority post-age. Early morning puns hahaha

Depends on head height' date=' i.e. if the cannister is 1+ m below the tank, a larger capacity wouldn't hurt, as there'll be loss flow. Although too much flow/circulation can be an issue, there no such thing as over filteration. I'd go for the 2215, have the spray bar sitting about the water level, causing surface agitation, reducing circulation, and hava a higher flow rate....can't go wrong ![/quote']

+1 on the 2215. There's usually not a massive price difference between the models so you may as well go one up as you can never have too much filtration! When I bought mine (I have a 2217) there was like $20 between it and the 2215...