Shrimp moults while berried!

K9932

Hey Guys.

So I've been real excited with my yellow cherries and also, very dissapointed.

My first girl got berried. Next thing I know, she has half the amount left in her after about 10 days, then only one was born..

She got berried again, this time hid for ages, Next time I see her, she has no berries and no shrimplets..

Once again I noticed her berried in the tank so I carefully removed her to her own breeder box in the same tank thinking she was being stressed by other shrimplets.. This time with her isolated, I saw her moult WITH all of her eggs, and Wallah! No more berries!

Why does this keep happening ?

Ph: around 7

Ammonia: 0

Nitrate: 0

Other inhabitants: Yellow Cherries and CBS

Any information would be much appreciated.. I can't afford to loose anymore shrimplets!

• HOF Member

I'm having trouble breeding yellows too. If it happens again try and save the eggs you can still get them to hatch even if she lost them during her moult. I can't help with why sorry

Sorry to hear of your frustration....I'm sure we can assist here. What was your TDS, GH & KH ? Have you done any WC recently ? What % was replaced ? Do yo use tap or RO ? Pic of your tank may assist, and any other info that may have changed any WP would be great..Ta

I currently have her remaining eggs over a bubbler trying to save them.. However I don't have much hope..

I'm not sure of my TDS: I have no way to test it, where would I purchase a tester ??

I actually haven't tested my GH or KH in some time, but will get right on it tomorrow after work.

( I know I sound like a horrible shrimp keeper so far lol *sorry*)

I use tap water, Prime as conditioner, always make sure temp of water added is exact as tank.

I try to water change once a week at 20%

Lately as more Shrimp have been added I do 2 per week at 10%

Umm.. I only have a terracotta potwith attached moss and a piece of driftwood with some crazy java moss and a sponge filter (that's all in the tank)

I have a heater in there also, the heater holds around 24 degrees.

Will try and upload a photo..

post-3442-139909861708_thumb.jpg

This is from a while ago, but still same ornaments. Pretty much how it is now haha

post-1355-139909850337_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't change so much water, I only do 5% every two weeks, shrimp don't make much of a mess, I would check your nitrates before you change your water just till you get used to how much it rises & how long it takes, I think that might be stressing her :encouragement: You can get a cheap TDS pen on fleabay for about $10-$15, well worth the money :victorious: