under gravel filters and shrimp soil

ineke

• HOF Member

I have always used UG filters in my 30" tank plus a couple of sponge filters. I am changing that tank to benibachi this week and wondered if it will be ok to keep the UG filter in there. I use noodles or K1 filter media under the filter space to get it to work more efficiently and will either use some flywire or a fine layer of inert gravel under the benibachi to stop it breaking down and clogging the UG filter. I know you either love or hate UG filters but all I would like to know is will it work? If its a big no no then I will get a HOB filter not ready to start playing with canisters yet.:encouragement: I will only be having mosses no stem plants

I have UG filters in my divided tank that has ADA Amazonia soil that has flywire on top of the filters. I've had it running since Feb and it looks like the filters are getting clogged.

When I re-do this tank in a few Months I think I will ditch the UG filters as I have sponge filters plus a big canister filter running the tank.

• HOF Member

OK thanks John I've been wondering how UG would cope . I have sponge filters but no canisters I guess Im just a bit scared of the unknown. I have a very good eheim internal filter which I could use but maybe a HOB would be the way to go for a start. I like the canisters but have absolutely no experience with them.:encouragement:

Canister filters are great and are not hard to set up. One line for an intake (with shrimp friendly cover) and a spray bar for the output. You can generally fit a heap more media in the canisters too. The are almost plug'n'play.

• HOF Member

I will go and look at some while I'm looking for filter sponge -may as well set it up the way I need it straight away. If it's a done deal Hubby won't be able to say much- or will he:triumphant: I like the idea and at 110 litres that tank is getting up there so it probably needs a better filtration system and with a return spray bar the 3 sections of the tank will get fresh water trickling back into each section -problem sorted thanks John just needed someone to clear my head.:encouragement:

Do you know anyone with a spare canister that is cycled that you can borrow while your new one is conditioning, or at least get some Seachem Stability?

• HOF Member

No I don't really know anyone with fish or shrimp here but I have 3 tanks with noodles and a heap of K1 that is all being used I could seed it with that. The shrimp from that tank can be spread out amongst other tanks without any problems and the red cherries can manage in the esky for quite a while or even in a breeding net in the crystal tank so thats OK. The tank will also still have the sponge filters in there. If I buy the Seachem stability it should only be a few weeks at most before I can start putting shrimp in- I will use the good old Bettas to help cycling as well. How long does a canister take to cycle?

• HOF Member

It will be benibachi and I just ordered an extra bag to get a good thickness , the boys will be fine with the Rilis, the michlings are fine in their cube for quite a while because there are only a few so really it's only the red cherries that are a worry and they can go into the tank after about a week so all good. Even if by the remotest chance the michling mated with one of the other michlings I don't suppose I would get any TB. But as I say the cube can hold quite a few shrimp so no shortness of room yet and at a push I can also divide the crystal tank that would give two good size tanks as well . Mmmmm this is getting better and better the crystal tank has been up and running for a couple of months it's a 60 litre and 60*35*34 so could be 2* 30 cm tanks . All of a sudden I could have 3 extra tanks:congratulatory:

Even if by the remotest chance the michling mated with one of the other michlings I don't suppose I would get any TB.

Why would you say that? Even if the chances are small, there is still a chance and if lucky like me you can! So cross those fingers!

• HOF Member

I am just thrilled my first berried girl was a michling and I don't mind what she has it is exciting not knowing . Next thing is to keep the babies alive then I will be really happy. I loved my Red Cherries but this is so much more interesting:cheerful:

• HOF Member

MrShrimp unfortunately I don't know. At the time I was given a few mishlings I actually didn't realise what I had been given. I was told just put them in with the crystals. At that time I had CRS, CBS , GOLDEN BEE and Michlings all in together. When I finally realised what I had been given she was already berried . I have separated them all out now the Michlings are in with the golden Bee and the CBS and CRS are in separate tanks too. That's why I have been moving all my shrimp around trying to make sure they are in their right groups and that meant moving my cherries as well and why

I gave away most of my Red Cherries. Had to make room:encouragement:

So the father did runner, wam bam thank you mam. Imagine the father was a mishling and you got a TB shrimplet. What dance move can you do with that level of excitement ?? I thInk you might faint on the spot.

• HOF Member

I think you might be right! I am setting up another tank as this thread states and hopefully will get a few more Michlings to start off my little colony. I'm still waiting for my crystals to breed so I have a long steep learning curve still before I buy a TB. But I surely am looking forward to getting one eventually

MrShrimp unfortunately I don't know. At the time I was given a few mishlings I actually didn't realise what I had been given. I was told just put them in with the crystals. At that time I had CRS' date=' CBS , GOLDEN BEE and Michlings all in together. When I finally realised what I had been given she was already berried . I have separated them all out now the Michlings are in with the golden Bee and the CBS and CRS are in separate tanks too. That's why I have been moving all my shrimp around trying to make sure they are in their right groups and that meant moving my cherries as well and why

I gave away most of my Red Cherries. Had to make room:encouragement:[/quote']

So how do you know they are mischlings? Who told you to put them in with the CBS,CRS? How did you manage to seperate them when they look pretty much the same as the CBS, CRS?

• HOF Member

I was just told they would ok with the crystals. I separated easily because of their colours 2 goldens and 1 mosura black I didn't have any others similar. They came as a gift with some other shrimp and I didn't know anything about Michlings at the time. I was under the impression they were males as were the other shrimp given to me. At this time I can't say who gave them or any other info suffice it to say I was hugely surprised and extremely pleased and with the Michlings once I knew what they were I was even more excited and pleased and no it wasn't from Dean.:encouragement:

I did not mean to ask who gave them but the reason as to why they would tell you to put or they would be ok with CRS, CBS. As anyone who keeps mischlings would obviously advise you to keep them seperate from the Crystals, that's all.

• HOF Member

Chi that was the only place I had at the time. No harm done just one lot of babies that I won't know who the father is. No biggie in my books. Have to start somewhere and if someone is generous enough to give me some nice shrimp well I'm very thankful. Will get the opportunity to learn how to keep these little babies alive without risking losing top quality shrimp. Fresh blood in the colony and get ready to start buying and breeding better shrimp. Win win situation in my books!!!! Beside which I was the one that didn't know what I had been given -I knew they were michlings but didn't know anything about them.