Winter tank temperatures

Heavyd

Now that the temperature has come down low enough, I have just reconnected my tank heaters. The water temperature in my place is sitting at 21 for the tanks without a UV steriliser attached and 23.5-24 for the tanks with the steriliser. I was wondering what is everyones preferred temperature for their tanks. Especially those containing CRS/CBS? I'm thinking 23 degrees will be a good balance.

Your thoughts?

• HOF Member

oh HeavyD I was just about to ask that question too! I've got mine between 22 and 24 to allow for fluctuations.

I just hooked up two of my tanks with a temperature controller, so I can set the difference to 0.3 degrees Celsius. i.e Set temperature to 23. Heater kicks in at 22.7, chillers kicks in at 23.3. Although I'll probably go with 0.5 degrees difference so that the heater/chiller won't have to work too hard.

All my chiller's are set at 23 degrees, so winter tank temp fluctuates between 22-23.

i have my chiller set to 23 but my tank is always 23.?? never exactly 23. I have my heater set at 22 but it still turns on sporadically when the tank is 23 or 24

@BB: Yeah that's what I thought. The CRS are a little sluggish at 21.

@Ozshrimp: So does your heater fight with your chiller?

I've been keeping my room at 23 but some nights have been getting lower to about 22 :encouragement:

Just got home and checked my new shrimps. They were 18-19 ... eeek! Movedrooms so hoping they'll warm up a bit, but it's COLD tonight!

Just got home and checked my new shrimps. They were 18-19 ... eeek! Movedrooms so hoping they'll warm up a bit' date=' but it's COLD tonight![/quote']

No heater torface? With the colder weather I think a heater is a must.

Yes I have a heater but i havent used it yet as my tanks havent dropped below 23. I've even got a new awesome one arriving tomorrow... but these new shrimps are temporarily in a plastic bucket, so cant really stick a heater in there...

Yes I have a heater but i havent used it yet as my tanks havent dropped below 23. I've even got a new awesome one arriving tomorrow... but these new shrimps are temporarily in a plastic bucket' date=' so cant really stick a heater in there...[/quote']

You can, just gotta put it in a glass jar or something that won't melt :encouragement:

Just tried that, it wont stand up, heater's too big :(

You can lean the top plastic part against the bucket wall, just not the glass with the element :encouragement:

My tank is outside in an uninsulated garage. Temp has been close to 22 give or take 1-2degrees all summer except when the chiller broke down and it hit 26.

Now it's been sitting at about 18.5 with the cold weather, so the heaters have been switched on and slowly being raised to 21-22.

The thing I noticed is difference between temp in the tank at different depth and in the breeder boxes. There is 0.9c differential from the base of the tank to the water level and about 0.8c difference between the tank itself and the hang on breeder boxes, with the larger breeder being closer in temp than the smaller one.

As a point of reference it was 10c the other night

That's what I found hardest with the aquarium heaters is to accurately set the temperature so you don't shock the shrimp. Let's say the temperature was previously set to 23 from the last winter, and now it's down to 21. 2 degrees is too much to heat up the water in one go, but adjusting on the heaters for a gradual increase is near impossible to do accurately. I'm referring to the Aqua one and Jager branded heaters. That's why I spent yesterday wiring up the temperature controllers. I have been increasing the tank temperature by 0.3 degrees every 8 hours or so.

That's what I found hardest with the aquarium heaters is to accurately set the temperature so you don't shock the shrimp. Let's say the temperature was previously set to 23 from the last winter' date=' and now it's down to 21. 2 degrees is too much to heat up the water in one go, but adjusting on the heaters for a gradual increase is near impossible to do accurately. I'm referring to the Aqua one and Jager branded heaters. That's why I spent yesterday wiring up the temperature controllers. I have been increasing the tank temperature by 0.3 degrees every 8 hours or so.[/quote']

I have a digital thermometer in my tank and can just pull out the probe and check in various locations. It's easy to see temp on the fly and adjust heater to suit. Heater set on 22 holds tank at 20.5. Can also depend on room temp, heater wattage and tank size as to how well heaters will hold temp.

• HOF Member
Yes I have a heater but i havent used it yet as my tanks havent dropped below 23. I've even got a new awesome one arriving tomorrow... but these new shrimps are temporarily in a plastic bucket' date=' so cant really stick a heater in there...[/quote']

If you are going to acclimatise them to a new tank the water you drip in will warm them up slowly anyway