U. gibba has a pretty side

Matt_95

I took this photo a while ago, I collect carnivourus plants and my biggest is actually my Gibba, I grow it in a 70cm tub outside with some emersed Rotala ludwigias and Frogbit to hide most of the growing section of my Gibba but I still enjoy the best part, flowers. It flowers profusely during the warmer months and has very few during winter. I don't like it growing in my tanks but it's beautiful like this. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_6179.jpg

Thanks, yes I do, I have a small collection, it's nice to be able to see some of them growing in the wild as well.

True. Do you have pitchers or the venus fly trap? Saw some of the venus fly traps for sale a few weeks back, regretting not buying one.

You seem to have alot of cool stuff, shrimp, spiders, plants. Do you work with this stuff or just have a interest in nature?

I'm currently doing a PhD in marine science, so all this kind of stuff fascinates me.

I sure do, have only had the pitchers a few days, they were $1 each at Bunnings because they were "dying" they were really just entering dormancy. I have fly traps and sundews also though.

IMG_8644.jpgIMG_8648.jpgIMG_8265.jpg

traps and a utricularia

IMG_8647.jpgIMG_8646.jpgIMG_8641.jpg

I have an interest in nature, I do also have an internship at the QLD museum and I deal with certain aspects of the spiders. I have no idea what sort of job I will end up in but I would bet you any sum of money it is something to do with science.

Nice. Always good when you can follow your passions, rather than working in a job you hate just because you are good at it.

I remember seeing something about a push to taxinomically identify all the spiders in Aus, particularly in the North. Is that the kind of stuff you are involved in?

Certainly not all of them but I am involved with the Theraphosids, there are over 30 species and I think there are 5 or 6 described species in Australia, that group needs a lot of work and it's great it's coming along.

And I do work in customer service to support my hobbies, my god, I don't understand how people can be so stupid, my job makes me hate pretty much everyone, I can't wait to be able to only do what I love.

I know what you mean, dealing with animals is so much easier than humans. I would end up choking someone if I had to work in the hospitality industry.