Shrimp Admirer - Newbie

Pearl

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I am currently only a Shrimp admirer, but planning to have my first Nano aquarium within the next few months. At the moment I keep L-numbers and Fancy Goldfish. Looking forward to meeting other enthusiasts and seeing everyone elses pics.

Welcome aboard Pearl. It is a great community and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself here. Lots to learn and read

Welcome to SKF, y ou will unlock more of the forum as you post more or you can purchase premium membership for $12.50 to instantly unlock everything :)

Dont worry about the nano just buy a big fish tank for your shrimp lol :P

• HOF Member

Welcome to SKF hope you enjoy our forum. Lots to see and learn as the forum opens up for you. :encouragement:

Welcome to the forum, what L numbers have you got? Would love to see some pics, we love pics here :encouragement: There's definitely a lot of enthusiastic people on here, any questions you have will be happily answered, there's not such thing as a stupid question on this forum :victorious: Hope you have as much fun on the forum as we do :smiley_simmons:

Funny-gif-potatoes-dancing_zpsbe5ea203.gif

Since there is no such thing as a stupid question: What is an L-Number? :confused:

Hey...and welcome to the forum, Pearl! :)

The easiest way to explain that is there are so many varieties of Pleco(Plecostomus) that they started listing them by numbers, eg. L046 is a Zebra Pleco & there are over 400 "L numbers", it's an easy way to describe Pleco's without getting common names confused. There are sites that list them all :encouragement:

edit: Cory's(Corydora's) have also started doing the same thing as so many are being discovered, they have started using C- Numbers :encouragement:

• HOF Member

edit: Cory's(Corydora's) have also started doing the same thing as so many are being discovered, they have started using C- Numbers :encouragement:

I didn't know that !

Yeah, I only found out about the new C-numbers last year when I said to a guy that his cory looked like a Sterbai & he swiftly said "no, that a C???, Sterbai are C???"(can't remember the numbers), put me in my place pretty quick! lol :victorious:

Welcome Pearl, another north Queenslander way to go. There is a couple of other Mackay members to. Better got your Nano going.

Squig the C numbers have been going for a long time, there was Aqualog C number books at Bay fish long before I left there 7ish years ago and they use to import some wonderful Cory's

Bob

Squig the C numbers have been going for a long time' date=' there was Aqualog C number books at Bay fish long before I left there 7ish years ago and they use to import some wonderful Cory's

Bob[/quote']

I had no idea that they had been using C numbers for so long, thank for that Bob :encouragement:

Dont worry about the nano just buy a big fish tank for your shrimp lol :P

Forget the big tank, go straight for the breeding rack... you'll want one sooner or later anyway :P

Welcome to the forum Pearl!

Hi Pearl, You know that shrimp will take over your life, soon you will be just like the rest of us!:onthego: Welcome to SKF ENJOY!

Welcome to the forum Pearl.

Shrimp can be a good cleanup crew in some L-number and catfish tanks, I find my cherries often do better in with my bristlenoses and peppermints than in their own tanks. More food I guess?

What L-numbers do you have?

Forget the big tank' date=' go straight for the breeding rack... you'll want one sooner or later anyway :P

Welcome to the forum Pearl![/quote']

This is so true!

Oh and Welcome

Welcome to the forum Pearl.

I'm also interested to see pictures of your L-numbers.

Nice to meet you all and thank you for the warm welcome, much appreciated ; ) I have many L-numbers, here is what I have.... L001 gold spot, L002 tiger, L015 candy stripe, L031 peppermint, L032 common, L066 king tiger, L080 dwarf tiger, L104 clown, L144 albino, blue eyes, common & marble, L168 butterfly, L201 orinoco angel, L270 chocolate zebra, L333 gold line tiger, L387 peckoltia sp. , L397 panaque & an L260 queen arabesque on 'layby' - just a few : ))) I will try to post some pics shortly. I have kept cherry shrimp in the past, until they kept going missing, we soon discovered that they were being eaten by my very greedy and rather large Ryukin Goldfish. So the plan is to get a Nano or 2ft Aquarium within the next few months for different types of shrimp (minus the Goldfish).

• HOF Member

I have 2 nano cubes and absolutely love them but I find a few fault issues with shrimp being able to get into the sump area at the back, temperature fluctuations due to smaller volume of water, having to watch water levels to make sure little pump at the back doesn't suck in air. For selective breeding they are great but personally now I would go for some thing a bit bigger. My opinion only they look great but just keep that in mind.:encouragement:

Holy wow! That's a lot of L numbers, I can't wait to see some pics :encouragement: