Winter Water Changes & Temperature

BlueBolts

Shrimps are sensitive to water parameter changes, and temperature is no exception. As the temperature drops, and winter approaches, I trust this thread will assist us with ideas/alternatives of techniques for WC (water changes).

Boss Aquaria has documented Automatic 24/7 Water within his rack system, and no doubt the advantages of this system in terms of water quality is phenomenal (i.e. zero nitrates …etc). No/minimal temperature fluctuation …. BUT for the rest of us….

1. RO/DI Water – Numerous hobbyist are now using RO/Di water, stored within drums/containers, and used when required. The best “manual†system I’ve seen is a tank, used solely to store the RO/DI water, aerated, with Indian Almond Leaves (IAL), heated to required tank temperature, and TDS/Ec balanced. This set-up ensures minimal WP fluctuations.

2. RO/DI Water – Stored in drums/containers, used as required, and temperature balance with hot water (filtered tap water). This is the system I’ve used, BUT extremely weary of the water quality (WQ) of my tap water (extremely high TDS – 350 +). Depending on whether it’s used for top ups or WC, I balanced the TDS/Ec accordingly.

3. RO/DI Water – Using the drip system, no temperature adjustment required due to the gradual introduction. Patience & time required here !

4. RO/DI Water – Time Lapse system, depending on the size of your tank, WC can be done by directly pouring into the tank over several “top upsâ€â€¦i.e. 5 liters is siphoned, and 1 liter per 15/30 minutes is poured into the tank, till completed. I occasionally use this if the RO/DI water & Tank Temp is within 0-2 degrees.

The above applies to hobbyist utilising tap water, with perhaps the use of a dechlorinator too. No doubt our QLD hobbyist, would not necessarily have these

Please add your comments, and share your experiences, as I’m sure there are numerous, and/or a combination of techniques used by us….

Great post BB. I keep my RO water in a container outside (with lid!) and so far temperature difference hasnt been an issue, but i drip in all my top up/ wc water anyway :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I keep my water stored in smaller containers in the shrimp room. This summer I've had no problems but can see during winter my containers will fluctuate quite a bit. I usually boil a kettle of RO water and then mix it in with the few litres I need for water changes to within a degree or so then pour small amounts in over an hour period. I have small tanks and only small water changes so that works for me but it would be an issue if I had bigger tanks and more of- err 120 wasn't it BB. Great write BB made me stop and think! Will invest in a water drip system to make certain i don't shock my babies:encouragement:

Ineke, I bought this bucket thing for dripping water. It's 6l and has a tap on the bottom. It also has grooves on the bottom so it sits securely on the corner of the tank. Might be somethign to consider? Mine has been invaluable so far, ive even used it for acclimitising new shrimps :)

• HOF Member

Where did you get that Torface? I'm having a bad seniors moment and can't think what the bag thingy that controls the drip rate is called and me an ex nurse DUH. I would be interested in something like yours but it may be too big for my little tanks

I store my RO water inside as it would freeze if I left it outside here.

I don't worry about trying to heat the water as it is normally only a couple of deg cooler than the tanks.

i just pour my bucket in always have and never had any problems :)

• HOF Member

can anyone tell me what the plastic bottle drip controller water changer thingy is called- I know a lot of you use them and it's doing my head in trying to remember the name. It's like an intravenous bag

Hi torface..would love to see a pic of this "bucket thing"...

• HOF Member
i just pour my bucket in always have and never had any problems :)

I think as you get more sensitive shrimp a sudden water temperature change can cause problems but as I haven't had my shrimp over winter I don't really know. If the temperature between the 2 is not great it wouldn't do any harm but a bucket of cold water into a warm tank might cause a problem. Not too sure I want to take a chance but then I'm home with plenty of time to play so I don't mind adjusting the temp to suit.:encouragement:

• HOF Member
Hi torface..would love to see a pic of this "bucket thing"...

yes so would I like to see a picture.

It's the Up Aqua "Buffer Barrel". I use it for all my water changes and top ups. It sits nicely on the corner of my small tanks or my sump.

bucket1.jpg

Some hobbyist use the intravenous from hospitals

4A5DBC23-5D4C-4F33-A98F-0173A5CDBDCB-14208-00000F97CB8E460C.jpg

Then there's this...

67B327B9-5BF2-4CC8-828F-0BFBB0437B55-14208-00000F97A74FAAB9.jpg

Aquakitz, forum sponsor sells it.

• HOF Member

Thanks BB I went on their site and couldn't see it but didn't know what to call it.

Thanks BB I went on their site and couldn't see it but didn't know what to call it.

AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE SWEETIE!

• HOF Member

Going to my vet now to pick up a giving set so I just need to put that into a bottle and set the drip rate ooooo just like going back to nursing white coat syndrome coming out again!!!!

• HOF Member
AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE SWEETIE!

oi who you calling sweetie little old ladies suffering seniors moments are anything but SWEET:victorious:

it is called a roller clamp. there is also a version called a slide clamp.

I pierced a small hole in the bottom of a 3 litre milk container and stuck a T valve in the hole with alittle bit of airline to drip into the tank

i have it dripping 3 litres over about 18hrs

Thanks Durro68....wouldn't know that !

I pierced a small hole in the bottom of a 3 litre milk container and stuck a T valve in the hole with alittle but of airline to drip into the tank i have it dripping 3litres over about 18hrs
Nice simple DIY.....Thanks for sharing.

So how do we send shrimp in winter now that overnight temperatures are dropping to 5degrees?

• HOF Member

I've just bought the intravenous giving set- my memory came back:victorious: - from the vet and have a hole in the top of a 2 litre soft drink bottle which it fits into very nicely. The giving set slide roller allows you to set the drip rate at almost any rate you like. There is a little filler chamber at the top and you count the drops per 15 seconds (then multiply by 4 to get drops per minute) to set the rate easy peasy!! Just need to find some thing to suspend the bottle higher than the tank .