UV sterilisers

torface

Hi shrimpstan, PM Aquotix our forum sponsor, and they can confirm the size/brand for you....

@BB at those prices are you 100% sure they are proper UV STERALISERS and not just clarifiers? Just asking as from what I have researched proper steralisers are pretty dear.

They are advertised as "sterilisers" so surely it would be false advertising if they are just clarifiers?

They are advertised as "sterilisers" so surely it would be false advertising if they are just clarifiers?

Go on youtube and you will see how many "steralisers" are really just clarifiers...

@BB at those prices are you 100% sure they are proper UV STERALISERS and not just clarifiers? Just asking as from what I have researched proper steralisers are pretty dear.

Easiest way to tell is a clarifier is usually labeled UVC :encouragement:

Easiest way to tell is a clarifier is usually labeled UVC :encouragement:

You just can't trust any labels these days... A lot of them are advertised/labelled as steralisers but in actual fact are just clarifiers...Especially the china made ones

Hi shrimpstan' date=' PM Aquotix our forum sponsor, and they can confirm the size/brand for you....[/quote']

yeah thanks BB :) i was thinking of something small suitable for a 2213 in 120L. was gonna go for something online until i heard about this clarifier bs. thinkin twice now :cower:

but by the same token, i've heard various ppl using basic ones and having no complaints.

Recommendations for UV units are generally for algae in outdoor ponds, run 24/7 in normal temp and water conditions.... If you are after something that helps control whitespot or bacteria, then you need to look at high retention time and high wattage.... The higher you go, the better the results....

The UV units available on the market are generally sold for pond use - Hence the name "clarifier". The UV Tube used in these units are germicidal lamps - but the effectiveness is dependant on the wattage and retention time in the unit they are used in, and age if the lamp being used - the higher wattage lamps will reduce in their effectiveness quicker than lower wattage lamps due to heat.....

in general, any inline UV Unit will be effective enough to handle recirc systems to reduce the spread of problems... This does not negate the need for separate quarantine tanks for new arrivals though. Choose the largest unit you can fit on your system for the best results.....

If you have particular questions about any part of UV use, feel free to PM me.... Im not always on here...

Great reply Mr Docfish, very honest and all my question have been answerd :)

Excellent so what we are looking for is a UV unit that has the UV rays in contact with the water for long periods, I have seen the ones where the water needs to spiral up the unit before exiting, meaning longer exposure to the light. Where there are the cheaper ones that just enter and exit like a power head which will not have much effect. Thanks Mr Docfish.

Spiralling or not, makes very little difference where the retention time is still the same (flow rate per volume of unit) but stainless units are better than black plastic units due to the reflection of UV rays (Though reduced in intensity)... Black will absorb just it, so SS is a significant advantage - but the cost of SS units tend not to be worth it for small systems - if you have 1000s of litres, then it is worth it.

The closer the water to the light source, the more effective too... Fat units are not as good as skinny long units.

Awesome reply Doc, thanks for clearing that up for us, pun intended, lol :encouragement:

Fat units are not as good as skinny long units.

Quote of the week.

In all seriousness, thanks for the info.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Correct me if i'm wrong, what Wayne said is quite relevant... using a smaller pump to pump through the unit would increase the effeciveness as it would increase the time water spends inside the unit?

That's correct, slowing the flow will increase the time the water spends inside the unit, therefore increasing the contact time :encouragement:

yeah thanks doc for clarifying that for us!!! :P