Shrimp Food Reviews

OzShrimp

Given the large range of shrimp foods starting to come onto the market and varying differences in prices i thought i would write my own personal reviews on the ones that i have used. I would encourage people to also do the same in the hopes it may help in making some informed decisions about peoples own personal experiences. Personally i know myself i am apprehensive to spend alot of money on the more expensive foods for small amounts so would find it handy.

If you have any suggestions about other info for the template please say so heres what i have thought of so far.

Name -
Price -
Net WT -
Type of Shrimp fed -
Shrimp Acceptance - (terrible, poor, average, Good, excellent)
Rating -
Comment -
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributions by OzShrimp

Name - Ocean Nutrition Shrimp Wafers
Price - Paid $15
Net WT - 15g
Type of Shrimp fed - CRS/CBS/Rili
Shrimp Acceptance - Poor
Rating - 2/5
Comment - I am not impressed with this food. It's stable and does not break down very well however can go without feeding shrimp for a couple of days and they still dont seem to like the food and does not appear to be overly appealling to them. Personally wont buy this food again and dont think its value for money.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Name - Hikari Shrimp Cuisine
Price - Paid $7.70
Net WT - 10g
Shrimp Acceptance - Excellent
Rating - 4/5
Comment - I find this product to be a very good basic shrimp food. It does not claim to have any special affects on shrimp other then being a food to meet a shrimps dietary needs. I find when feeding this the shrimp always hurry over to try and get a piece of the action. I would definitely buy this again and recommend it to those just starting out as a staple food.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name - Fluval Shrimp Granules
Price - Paid $25
Net WT - 35g
Shrimp Acceptance - Good
Rating - 3/5
Comment - The only issues i have with this shrimp food is the granule size. Personally i think its too small and find alot of the time when i attempt to feed the shrimp most of it just floats away before i am able to make it sink. Its another shrimp food which has no claims to anything special and appears to just be a staple diet. Personally i find i use this less and prefer the cheaper Shrimp cuisine over this one as do my shrimp.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name - Hikari Crab Cuisine
Price - Paid $20
Net WT - 50g
Rating - 4/5
Comment - One of my shrimps favourite foods. Very fast sinking and acted upon quickly by my shrimp. Claims to enrich shell development and assist in growth and havent really had any problems with this shrimp food. I think the pellets could be a bit smaller due to CRS and the like carrying them around the tank which could allow break down of food into substrate all over. Think this is definately good value for money in my experience and my shrimp love it.

Name - Sera Shrimps Natural
Price - Paid $20
Net WT - 55g
Shrimp Acceptance - Poor
Rating - 2/5
Comment - First shrimp food i ever bought and rarely use. Granule size is great but alot of the time encounter problems getting it to sink as it does not appear to absorb the water well. My shrimp personally dont seem too impressed with this food and dont think i will use it again.

Name - Genchem Biozyme
Price - Paid $30
Net WT - 50g
Rating - 5/5
Comment - The only shrimp food i have which i can rate personally 5/5. It comes in powder form and use it regularly when i have shrimplets in the tank. Since investing in this i have found the survival rates of my shrimplets has improved greatly and would recommend highly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name - Microlift Barley Straw Pellets
Price - $36.75+
Net WT - 2kg
Type of Shrimp fed - CRS, Rili's
Shrimp Acceptance -excellent
Rating - 5/5
Comment -I got a sample of these from Bunnybom and i was very surprised and happy with them. They broke down quiet quick attracted the shrimp really quick and was able to also produce really small pieces for my shrimplets. Also it claims to be 100% natural & organic and specially formulated to naturally balance pond water & improve water clarity so beneficial for the aquarium. Nutritional content lacking though and should mix with another food

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name - Shrimp Crack
Price - $20
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed -SW, CRS, Rilis
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Recently purchased this from Bossaquaria and am very impressed, I dont have many shrimp but they all appear to thoroughly enjoy the food. It breaks down nicely so shrimplets get an enjoyable feed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributions by CNgo2006

Name - Repashy's shrimp souffle
Price - $17
Net WT - 4oz
Type of Shrimp fed - All types
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Excellent as you can add any powders, vitamins you want to customise to shrimp (eg. White Up for Crystals).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name - White Pellet
Price - $22
Net WT - 50g
Type of Shrimp fed - Crystals, mischlings, any where you want to strengthen the white color.
Rating - 5/5
Comment - I have found that this product does whiten the shrimp as claimed
Name - Genchem Bio Max
Price - $22
Net WT - 50g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Rating - 5/5
Comment - This product comes in different sizes 1,2,3 to target shrimp at different ages in their life. From powder to granules
Name - Azoo Max Breed
Price - $20
Net WT - 20g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Shrimp Acceptance - Good
Rating - 4/5
Comment - This food will stay forever in tank and not break down as quickly as others
Name - Shirakura Shrimp Ball (soft)
Price - $30
Net WT - 80g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Shrimp Acceptance - Average
Rating - 3/5
Comment - Not as readily accepted as other foods but lasts forever in tank, not breaking down easily so can be left for awhile without polluting water.
Name - Ista shrimp food
Price - $13
Net WT - 20g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Shrimp Acceptance - Good
Rating - 4/5
Comment - Good food but not as readily accepted as other foods, rich in calcium and chitosan.
Name - Bio Plus Juvenile/ Shrimplet Food
Price - $30
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Great food for shrimplets, increases survival rate, also helps to keep water clean by breaking down dissolved wastes.

Contributions by BlueBolts

Name - Shirakura Micro Organism
Price - $22
Net WT - 22g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Shirakura is a personal favourite. Great quality and my shrimps loves it. Powdered food gets to all areas of the tank, and more importantly to the shrimplets.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name - Shirakura Food (Pellets)
Price - $25
Net WT - 90g
Type of Shrimp fed - All
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Consumed quickly, remains hard and doesn't breakdown. Pellets are uniform in size. My most often used shrimp food.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributions by Torface

Name - Hikari Crab Cuisine
Price - Approx $15 (I cant remember!)
Net WT - 50g
Type of Shrimp fed - CBS/Red cherries/yellow cherries/blue velvets
Rating - 4/5
Comment - Shrimps love this food and I believe it contains many ingredients which are beneficial to shrimp. However it is best fed in a dish as it breaks down faily quickly.

Name - Hikari Algae Wafers
Price - Approx $10-15 (I cant remember!)
Net WT - 50g
Shrimp Acceptance - Good
Rating - 4/5
Comment - I havent used this one much yet, but my shrimps seem to like it, it doesn't break down to easily and it is good value for money.

Name - ADA Do!Aqua Spirulina
Price - $20
Net WT - 53g
Shrimp Acceptance - TBA
Rating - TBA
Comment - This is a new food for me and i believe it is new on the market. The spirulina is in flake form and seems high quality. I have been grinding it with my fingers and feeding with biozyme as otherwise i dont think it would sink, but i havent tried yet. I will update this when I know more about it.

Name - Genchem Biozyme
Price - Approx $15-20
Net WT - 50g
Shrimp Acceptance - TBA
Rating - TBA
Comment - Easy to feed and spreads well through the tank so the shrimps can graze on it. My only issue is that it seems to be creating a white patch where i administer it.... Too early for me to notice a change in shrimplet survival.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contribution by jayc
Name - Mosura CRS Specialty Food
Price - N/A (I bought this in Singapore for SGD$15)
Net WT - 25gm
Type of Shrimp fed - CRS but good for red bee and all algae eating shrimp
Shrimp Acceptance - excellent
Rating - 5/5
Comment - (most of this is from the mosura site)
Mosura CRS Specialty Food is designed to enhance colour of crystal red shrimp, red bee shrimps and other algae eater shrimps. Its mainly plant based contents is mixed with a small portion of wholesome brackish water crustaceans. The high plant based contents is responsible to enhance the colour of crystal red shrimp, red bee shrimps and other shrimps, and the animal content is necessary for growth and reproductions.

In the wild, algae eating shrimps, get to eat small amount of animal contents, from fallen insects, dead larva and other dead aquatic livestock, hence we mix a small and right amount of animal contents into Mosura CRS Specialty Food.

Mosura CRS Specialty Food is enriched with multivitamins (including stabilised vitamin C and stabilised vitamin E) and minerals and fortified with the necessary vitamins and minerals for colour display and proper moulting.

Since Mosura CRS Specialty Food does not contain preservative, it is necessary to store them in cool and low humidity place. To preserve the freshness and tastiness of the food after opening, we recommend to store an opened bottle in the fridge and draw a small amount to put in air tight box that is enough for a week of feeding.

This product is fairly new in the market and yet we receive many positive feedbacks in area of :
high palatability (fussy species are responding to it, latest feedback and our from testing have showed Sulawesi shrimps like to eat them too)
enhancing red and white of crystal red shrimps and red bee shrimps
improve the color of neocardinal species like cherry shrimps and neon green

Note that: Mosura CRS Specialty Food does not contain large amount of kelp (marine algae, seaweed) as cheap fillers, though a small amount is used as it is rich in iodine.

My observations:

The food comes in long rectangle chucks and I feed a piece the size of my pinky fingernail.
Any leftover food, if somehow was missed doesn't seem to cloud the water.
Broken bits are enjoyed by shrimplets, while the bigger chucks are snatched away by adults, usually shrimplets have no chance to get close to it but they still can eat the loose bits. Talk about gang warfare. That's what it looks like after 5 minutes of dropping a piece of Mosura CRS food in the tank.
I've read that feeding Mosura CRS food really helps some shrimp owners by minimising moulting related deaths. I cannot confirm know if this food helps, as I have not lost any shrimp to moulting yet. And I hope I never will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributions by Fishmosy

Name - Benibachi Komb Food - Powder Grain

Price - $34.95
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed - 
CRSCBS, mischlings
Rating - 4/5
Comment - I bought this specifically as a food for new shrimplets. The food spreads through-out the tank and both adult and juvenile shrimp jump onto it as soon as it enters the tank. I probably wouldn't use it as a daily food for adult shrimps because it is a fine grain (think sand size grains), but if you have new shrimplets, I'd highly reccomend it. Only reason it doesn't get 5/5 is because it is quite expensive. 
Name - Benibachi Kale Tablets
Price - $26.00
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed - 
CRSCBS, mischling, cherry shrimp variants
Rating - 5/5
Comment - This is one of my staple foods. I like how it breaks down into a fine powder, allowing a group of shrimp to feed. I would however reccomend the use of a feeding dish as some food may disappear into the substrate if one is not used. 

Name - Benibachi Super Enzyme Bee Speed
Price - $26.00
Net WT - 20g
Type of Shrimp fed - 
CRSCBS, mischling
Rating - 3/5
Comment - I've been using this since day 1 in my tank. I've had mixed experiences with this 'food' and I'm not sure whether it produces the increase in growth rates as it claims on the pack. To be honest, I mainly add it as a source of nutrients for the plants and mosses in the tank. However the shrimp go ape when it goes into the tank, so it must have/be something they like. 
I dose it at half the reccommended rate, as when I was dosing a full dose I tended to get a death or two in the next two days. I'm only speculating, but this might have been due to a spike in ammonia as most of the food wouldn't have been eaten as I tend to stock my tank lightly. I even suspected at one stage that the shrimp were dying because the food had gone off! However since going to half dose, I haven't had a single death in the days afterwards.

Name - Shrimp Crack 
Price - $20.00
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed - 
CRSCBS, mischling, cherry variants
Rating - 5/5
Comment - My newest staple food. The pellets hold together, so not a great food for shrimplets, but its readily accepted by older shrimp. The first time I used this food, my shrimp jumped on it. No hesitation. Whats more, it is a bit cheaper than other shrimp foods. Highly reccomend it as a staple food for juveniles and adults. 

Name - Shrimp Snow
Price - $10
Net WT - 
Type of Shrimp fed - 
Rating - 3/5
Comment - I'm in two minds about this food. On one hand, the shrimp love this food and jump on it in the tank. It breaks down into a pile that is much larger than the size of the pellet (guessing the ingredients expand in water/take up water) so little is needed at each feed, and its CHEAP. But, and this is a big but for me, it is a messy food. There always seem to be husks left over from the food, which stand out on black soil. You can now get small nets to hold the food but I've yet to try one to see how effective they are. If you dont care about the mess, I'd highly recommend this food. However if you have an aquascape or don't like seeing clear or white husks on your nice black soil, it might be best to get one of the nets. 

Name - Benibachi Red Bee Ambitious

Price - $26.00
Net WT - 30g
Type of Shrimp fed - 
Shrimp Acceptance - Good
Rating - 5/5
Comment - Another of my staple foods. Disintegrates very slowly as the shrimp pick at it. Therefore, not a great food for shrimplets. 

Edited by OzShrimp
  • Like 2

I have updated the initial post with everyones contributions, this is to avoid people having to scroll continuously to find all the reviews so as you post them i will add them to the initial post.

I created another thread for natural shrimp foods if people would like to post some reviews on them also :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Great thread, I have just taken onboard all the top fives and just bought a stack online of each will give results at later date. Thanks for members input much appreciated.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have only bought one commercial shrimp food so I only have one review to offer but I still would like to contribute! :)

Name - Hikari Shrimp Cuisine
Price - $8
Net WT - 10g
Type of Shrimp fed - RCS
Shrimp Acceptance - (terrible, poor, average, Good, excellent) Excellent
Rating - 4/5
Comment - This is my shrimp's staple food. Says to help shedding, my shrimps are molting okay recently. Contains copper but the amount is probably negligible as I have not had any "genocide" due to feeding this to my shrimps so I think it is not anything to worry. Also contains astaxanthin which I believe functions to enhance shrimp colour. I do think my shrimps are redder now than the time when I got them...
Does not cloud the water and sinks well. The way to get it to sink is to put it under the water surface. If you sprinkle it on top of the water surface, it will not immediately sink. Very small pieces, easy for shrimps to carry around. They do not immediately look for it when I drop the food, but when they find it, they fight over it. From the description, looks to be nutritious for shrimp and overall my shrimps seem to like it.

I plan on buying Hikari Crab Cuisine too so I'll put another review if I do buy another type of shrimp food!

• 1 month later...

Name - Sanyu Hercer Algae Wafer Discs
Type of Shrimp fed - Crystal Red, Red Cherry, Yellow Cherry, Chameleon, Darwin Algae Shrimp
Price - $36.95 for 1kg
Preparation - Nil
Breakdown Time - Excellent
Rating - 5/5
Pros/Cons - Take quite awhile to break down giving the Shrimp plenty of time to nibble
Comment - I first used Sanyu Hercer Algae Wafer Discs for my 3 Common Bristlenose but soon found that all my Shrimp took an instant liking to the food.

8519a0b3-876b-450a-9779-07766070fc93_zps

• 4 years later...

Name - Sera Shrimps Natural
Price - $7.49
Net WT - 55g
Type of Shrimp fed - Neocaridina
Shrimp Acceptance - (terrible, poor, average, Good, excellent) - excellent, shrimp swarming the food within 2 minutes of dropping it in the tank
Rating - 4/5
Comment - I have had shrimp for all of two days, so perhaps take this with a grain of salt.  It just seems that Sera may have made this particular food more palatable since 5-6 years ago when the last review appears to have been made.  We shall see if they do well on it.  I plan to feed it in combination with Bacter AE and I don't know what else at this point.

Name - Dennerle Shrimp King Complete (sticks)

Price - bought as part of 5 in 1 sampler for $4 (1/5 of $20) for 6g

Shrimp Acceptance - poor - never saw more than 3-4 of my 11 shrimp interested, compared to at least 8 hovering around the Sera Shrimps Natural

Rating - 2.5/5

Comment - quite messy and I mistakenly put way too much food in, having to vacuum up the remains, which was annoying and turned into a partial water change.  Perhaps if I put less food in I'd have more shrimp in line for some.  We shall see.  I think the Sera product is more attractive to my Neos.

Edited by ShrimpNewb

• 4 weeks later...

I'm upgrading Shrimp King Complete to 4/5.  The shrimp like it enough to eat it in proper portions.  It does appear that my idiocy in putting too much in the tank the first time was the problem in my initial review.

As for other Dennerle products in the sampler...

Name - Dennerle 5 Leaf Mix

Shrimp Acceptance - ZERO interest.  The entire chunk was there almost 24 hours later and I removed it from the tank.

Rating - 0/5 - useless if they won't eat it...

• Like 2