Sign in to follow this  
ineke

It's a not happy Jan day today!!!

ineke

First I cleaned my fish tank and my feisty old Betta girl finally died- she was an old girl and very ragged around the edges but a real character! Next water change in a cube and one of my lovely little golden bees was dying and I couldn"t do anything to help her. Finally one of my original CRS was in another tank dead!!!! Only good thing is it usually happens in threes so hopefully that's my three. Damn!!!!

I guess I'm fairly lucky haven't had many deaths in the time I have had the shrimp but still doesn't make it any better NOT HAPPY JAN!:sorrow:

torface

Boo... that sucks :(

MrShrimp

I think most of us shrimp keepers have experience some unexplained deaths. I have many experience where shrimps would die and my WP is in good range.

ineke

Yes we all go through it and yes my WP's are all in the perfect range. The other shrimp in the tanks are great so it is just one of those unexplained things. Still sucks though! As long as the others stay good I'll survive:)

Kitz

There are many different types of human diseases which causes death of human so there would be different types of dieases for shrimp that no one has ever bother look into. That's how I look at unexpected death. So don't be sad, we just got to provide them the best environment to grow/breed. Good luck!

torface

I had a CBS die last week, I felt like such a failure :( ...lol

All the others are fine though, so i just put it down to "one of those things"

ineke
There are many different types of human diseases which causes death of human so there would be different types of dieases for shrimp that no one has ever bother look into. That's how I look at unexpected death. So don't be sad' date=' we just got to provide them the best environment to grow/breed. Good luck![/quote']

Yes thanks for that. I guess I just haven't had many problems yet so it was a bit sad to have 3 of my favourites go at one time. I don't think I can do any more than I am so just have to accept that it happens to us all:encouragement:

ineke
I had a CBS die last week' date=' I felt like such a failure :( ...lol

All the others are fine though, so i just put it down to "one of those things"[/quote']

Yes that's how I felt too but then when I looked at everything I have done I don't think there is much more I can do. I've got the right substrate, water, minerals etc just worried that it will spread to other tanks but they all look good, even the ones in the same tanks are looking good.:encouragement:

torface

Also don't forget that shrimps don't live all that long, so if you got the shrimp as an adult (my CBS that died was an adult) you don't know how old they are, so they could just die of old age

ineke

Yes one of them was an older CRS but the Golden Bee was only a youngster so felt that quite badly! Still have to get used to the occasional loss doesn't make it easier but it's a fact of life!:encouragement:

torface

I don't think you ever get used to it, it's always going to be sad!

Squiggle

Oh man that sucks Ineke! :dejection: As everyone has already said, there are always unexplained deaths in shrimp keeping & as it's fairly new compared to keeping fish, there's a lot of thing we still don't understand & as long as you keep your WP as pristine as possible then you can't blame yourself knowing you did the best you could :encouragement:

ineke

Thanks Squiggle I know we all go through it but why is it always the ones that are a bit special to you? I know you lost one of your special shrimp recently too. Never mind hopefully my berried golden will give me another one:encouragement:

CNgo2006

Sorry for the loss ineke but to not have had any deaths til now is a great accomplishment so just keep up what you have been doing. The youngster probably just had a weak immune or moulting issue....

ineke

Thanks Chi, I did lose a few RCS when I first started but nothing since so I have been lucky. I do think the little one may have been having a bad moult as when I first saw it it was bending as if ready to spring out of its shell. No one else in that tank is having moulting issues as I have seen a few shells in the tank. Hopefully no more tomorrow that would be a good thing!

Garnelchen

Oh no, Ineke! Three favourites in one day! That is SO not fair. :sour:

But soon you will have new shrimplets and all will be good again. :)

Squiggle
Thanks Squiggle I know we all go through it but why is it always the ones that are a bit special to you?

I don't know, Murphy's law maybe? It just like with me & my fish, all my friends used to name my fish & I found that the ones that got maned would always die, so I banned anyone from naming my fish, fixed the problem :egrin:

Garnelchen

Oh...good to know!

ineke
Oh no' date=' Ineke! Three favourites in one day! That is SO not fair. :sour:

But soon you will have new shrimplets and all will be good again. :)[/quote']

yes I hope one is a little white one:)

ineke
I don't know' date=' Murphy's law maybe? It just like with me & my fish, all my friends used to name my fish & I found that the ones that got maned would always die, so I banned anyone from naming my fish, fixed the problem :egrin:[/quote']

For years I wouldn't use a camera because every time I took a picture of my pets something would happen so its a bit the same as naming shrimp and fish that's a no go zone for me!

Aquathumb

Sorry to hear about you loss :-( strange coincidence that I too lost my 2 year old male betta I called im 'red' he was more like a pet then just a fish. very sad day. And its true you lose the ones you really value i have 300-400 shrimp and I have not lost a shrimp in 3+ months but last week I lost my female black knight cherry that gbang gave me. I only own(ed) 1 male and 1 female and she had yet to breed for me... very very sad :(

Squiggle
Sorry to hear about you loss :-( strange coincidence that I too lost my 2 year old male betta I called im 'red' he was more like a pet then just a fish. very sad day. And its true you lose the ones you really value i have 300-400 shrimp and I have not lost a shrimp in 3+ months but last week I lost my female black knight cherry that gbang gave me. I only own(ed) 1 male and 1 female and she had yet to breed for me... very very sad :(

Doh, bummer dude :(

ineke

Oh sorry for your loss too! Bummer not that any loss is good but it is always the ones you least want to lose:crushed:

ninja

Sorry for your losses guys but it had nothing to do with naming them, I have had fish with names for years and years, some more than 11 years and they are going strong, touch wood! But Murphys Law, if ya gunna lose one its gunna be the best or favourite.

ineke

Yup that's the way the cookie crumbles. :encouragement: