Not exactly a shrimp

Baccus

• HOF Member

She is getting nice colour on her. Do you have a mate for her? Have any of your yabbies bred for you? I don't think I have seen newly hatched yabbies before and am quite intrigued by them.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baccus

• northboy

• Squiggle

• ineke

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly for now she is the only one I have, but hopefully Bob will be sending me a couple more and I will then be able to have a crack at breeding them. If I can get them breeding I will be sure to post pics, but they will be hard to get considering how small this little sweetie was when I first accidentally caught her with the Barney springs shrimp.

A better pic showing off her lovely patterned underside.

P1020121_zps5ba0743b.jpg

I have 3 to send, one 7cm and 2 around the 2.5cm all from Barney

I am thinking yours might be a boy, because I think I spotted claspers on the back legs.

There is a opening on the base of the legs on some species, that is on different legs, one spot for boys and another for girls, but claspers on the hind legs is a give away for a boy.

Bob

Maybe it is a boy, it is getting more colourful and males do tend to be better coloured in male yabbies than females.

Your 7cm one would be around the same size as this one, so they would be evenly matched.

I have some more coconut shells now so I can make more shelters for the yabbies to use as homes, since I don't really like them digging out the gravel from under rocks that could squish them.

• 2 weeks later...

My new yabbies arrived last week (Thank you Bob) and they are settling in well.

As a refresher here is my original yabby

P1020499_zps12b94e0d.jpg

The new Boy(?) he's huge compared to the other two

P1020491_zps82ea3236.jpg

P1020489_zps2fb1fdc2.jpg

And finally the smallest of the trio

P1020495_zps1e0008fa.jpg

P1020509_zps1d9d7992.jpg

Right now I can tell them apart by size and because my original is so much darker than the new two, but once they are all fully settled in I am thinking it will be much harder to tell them apart.

• 2 weeks later...

The small macro shrimp is still getting about in the tank with the yabbies, and the wild colouration cherry shrimp also seem to be avoiding any predation from the yabbies. Time will tell, but maybe they can be kept together.

Now this is cute :o

P1020668_zps12c45c52.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out wild type cherry shrimp are not safe with yabbies :( ( well the shrimp have disappeared and the yabbies are happy as clams), but the small macro that is in the tank with the yabbies is still getting about just fine.

I don't know if the macro was the cause of the cherry shrimp disappearing ( he really is only a small macro lucky to be 4cm in size) or if the macro is still alive just because its only one and can avoid the three yabbies better than higher number of shrimp

Big Crays can lift cover glass and take a walk they are buggers

Bob

i had a Murray crayfish that managed to lift a glass lid with 1/2 a brick on top of it to go walkabout.

Thankfully these guys are well behaved and have shown no inclination to escape, but just in case they did get the idea they are in one of my few fully hooded tanks. Actually they are well behaved over all, because after adding the two new additions and a few bits of argie bargie as new heirachies where sorted out the three of them are getting on well and not fighting or killing each other. Which is great because I didn't fancy trying to set up another two tanks just to house unsocialable yabbies.

Hi Bacc

Roll them over and look for small holes on the legs where they join the body, male and female will be in different spots as well the males will have claspers on their rear legs.

Have a look so you know what you have as I have a few more and can send some if needed, I will be sending a couple of for ID to know what they are.

I have a female carrying eggs at the moment, I will move her to somewhere I can take a photo at the moment she is in a pond full of big Angles and need to come out.

Bob

I will have a go at checking them today, I might even be able to get some photos of their undersides as well and post them here.

I was mucking about with them the other day and was surprised that they didn't try nipping me (but I didn't push the issue with them), considering I have had a smaller red claw be much more feisty and draw blood.

The small macro is still sharing their tank with no problems.

A pic I got lastnight of one of the yabbies waiting for me to hurry up and turn off their tank light.

P1020992_zpsa095e8d4.jpg

I find them to be fairly good tank critters, they don't cause a whole lot of trouble.

I have kept Destructor before and they live up to there name and beyond, destroy every thing. Another couple of good ones are two of the small rainforest Cray's up here, nice little critters

Bob

Well I don't know who found that more stressfull me or the yabbies, they are like restraining budgies, have holding and half strangulation.

First cab off the ranks was the original yabby that came home as a little bub.

P1030043_zps0ea893bd.jpg

P1030044_zps3331172d.jpg

next should be the smallest of the trio

P1030050_zps634db37c.jpg

P1030056_zpse5d340e2.jpg

And lastly the big guy who gave me the least grief but did flick water all over my lens

P1030060_zps4657aace.jpg

P1030066_zpsbbd63b33.jpg

P1030067_zpsc9ba1b41.jpg

And now some candid shots

P1030010_zps6b24c909.jpg

P1030029_zps245b5bc9.jpg

and lastly PUT ME BACK IN THERE

P1030053_zps616a0961.jpg

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately for reasons unknown the big guy (male?) died and after doing some investigating - mainly dismantling the tank and disturbing the other two much smaller yabbies it appears at some point they had a barny with the original now blue yabby losing one of its claws.

The big fella however was totally intact, so his death is still a mystery, he also dwarfed the other two smaller yabbies and I would have thought anyone about to die in battle would have been one of them.

First up is the macro that shares their tank and has done since day dot.

P10306832_zps49e3d347.jpg

There is also a small other native sharing the tank, goodness knows where it came from and I am yet to get a decent picture of it.

Now for the second to arrive small orange

P10306902_zpscba54169.jpg

P10307022_zps4ec7d0d6.jpg

P1030703_zps126ea8fc.jpg

and original yabby who in now lovely shades of blue and purple and now lacking one nipper.

P10306942_zps60a22523.jpg

P10306962_zps08b5f44c.jpg

P10307072_zps73b1bb92.jpg

P10307092_zps16bc5a95.jpg