How to remineralise R/O water?

shrimpstan

hey guys,

im about to order a 4 canister system for both the shrimp tanks and suitable drinking water as i opted for an alkaliser as well as an R/O DI. im gonna give the whole alkalised thing a go :)

its a portable system from our good mates up qld way. they are so helpful :)

im keen to hear how some of u guys re mineralise ur r/o water. i will be using the salty shrimp minerals as it seems it is the best product out there atm. my current TDS is sitting at around 165ppm and im quite happy at this level as i have been getting some really good results. however, i am open to the idea of slightly raising the TDS.

look forward to hearing what u guys have to say, any advice greatly welcomed and appreciated :)

cheers,

shrimpstan

Hi shrimpstan,

I generally mix salty shrimp at 50% of my targeted tank water, i.e. if TDS is 150, then my WC would generally be TDS 75'ish. My theory is that the mineral balls, or powder etc I add would naturally raise the TDS. I would also presume rain has very little TDS, so WC or Topping with a little pure RO/DI (i.e. low or 0 TDS), is quite natural as well...it hasn't hurt my shrimps.

• HOF Member

Great timing I was wandering that too so half the required TDS in the water change thank you:encouragement:

I think it's very dependable upon the tank setup, maintenance regime etc.... my tanks TDS do tend to creep up, and I'm constantly having to test my TDS to ensure its within the range..... so if your tanks TDS is stable, then do re-mineralise it to your tanks TDS.

• HOF Member

Mine tends to go up and I really want to get it lower but I worry if I put too much RO without any minerals so your way seems good. It's only one tank that is too high but as its my big tank that I had my breeding cherries in and now only have a few shrimp in it I am doing second daily changes with just RO water but I'm thinking of just emptying half of the water ( there are too many tiny babies to catch and empty the tank) and just topping it up with very low TDS water until it is closer to what I want but doing it over a week or two rather than removing and topping up as I don't think I will get it low enough that way. I did try to catch all the shrimp but they were too small

thanks bb for the tips. u so smart ;)

so do u mix the minerals in ur storage bottle? i normally add water with a buffer barrell 5L at a time over like 3-4 hrs or so. if the water in the bucket is already remineralised it should be perfect for them yeah?

Thanks shrimpstan, I'm really not.

i store my RO in a 25lt tub, and mix the salty shrimp only when required. That way when I water change, I can decide 0 TDS, 50%... Etc...

thanks mate good to learn from the 'shrimp master'! ;)

Hi BB,

besides the salty shrimp (which i'll probably just buy) have u used any other product to remineralise? just keen to know if other products are out there.

cheers bud :)

you can buy mineral rock but as you said salty shrimp seems to be the best product

I use the benibachi mineral powder too....

which one?