high nitrates

ineke

• HOF Member

does anyone know if when getting right to the bottom of a test bottle does the fluid get more concentrated? I am getting 2 different readings one from a new test kit and a higher reading from an almost empty bottle. Both have the same expiry date but the old one I have been using since january- was new then.

With the nitrates test kit (presuming APi), it depends whether you really shake them around (30 sec for Bottle #2)..... if you don't, then the last few test would perhaps be more concentrated. Always go for the one showing the higher level....just to be on the safe side

• HOF Member

Thanks BB I am setting up a new tank a and although the only change is the substrate and about 1/4 of the water I had a very high nitrate reading 24 hours later so having a new test kit( API) I used that to double check and it registered much lower. I ended redoing it with both and really shaking the bottles for the full minute as required and although they were closer the old test kit showed a higher reading again. So checked a second tank with pretty much the same results one higher than the other so guessed it had to be the concentration in the older bottle. I do shake the bottle each time but probably not as long as I should so lesson learnt. I did a partial water change to be on the safe side as there were no shrimp in the tank and will retest tomorrow before putting any shrimp in there:encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks BB changing all my tanks around now most of the reds are gone and all except the Crystal tank have been taken down and redone before new inhabitants going in. Hopefully all shrimp will be happy:)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Must Read SKF Articles

• sdlTBfanUK
      It has been a few weeks now and I have done a couple of large water changes. I tested the water parameters this morning, GH6 and KH2, TDS 140 and PH 7.5. Obviously the PH is off but there isn't anything in the tank that should cause the PH to rise to this figure so I will just run the tank for another month with 10% weekly water changes (probably just with RO water) and see where we are at that point. The RO water tests at PH6, and the KH and GH in the tank could come down as they are at the upper limits for Caridina shrimps! There are only about 10 very small snails in there at this point, but they seem to be doing well enough.
    • sdlTBfanUK
      I believe these to be very rare in Australia so you may even consider making it a longer term plan and produce your own by starting with the best CRS you can get as that is where the pure lines started! Depends how patient and interested in the project you are, but would save money as well? If I recall correctly it takes from 8 generations of selective breeding? They sell them at micro aquatic shop but do not ship to Western Australia, but that means they are available in Australia. https://microaquaticshop.com.au/products/pure-red-line-grade-ss-shrimp Good luck and just maybe smeone on here may point you in the right direction or be able to supply you with some.
    • Jimmy
      Hi Guys,  Does anyone know where to buy PRL shrimps in WA, not the CRS please. Thanks Regards  
    • Subtlefly
      Yes it’s super accurate to position where I want now and stay there- I am satisfied.  All the fish and shrimpers are doing excellent! Coming up on 4 years running!
    • sdlTBfanUK
      You must be pleased with that, it looks better and is much more robust and less likely to damage or leaks! The tank looks very natural now it has been running for a time. I see the ember tetras, how are the blue shrimp doing, I see a few? The cat and dog look very content and unimpressed, lol.