yellow cherries andWP's

ineke

• HOF Member

Over the last couple of months I have been very disappointed with my yellow cherries- first a female was berried then lost the eggs and I could never see the cherries out ( only the yellows even when in a tank by themselves). I kept them in Cherry WP's and just gave up on them. However recently I had to move them so that they wouldn't breed with my chocolates and have had to put them in my crystal tank. Since the move to crystal WP's they have started coming out and being quite active even to the point of fighting with the crystals over food- before I never saw them out during the day! The females are still saddled and haven't bred but they are certainly a lot happier. Don't really understand why the change other than the WP's.

The tank they were in had other cherries breeding very well so go figure:confused: Apart from the water the other change is less plants and more open space which I would have thought would make them more shy.

I think it may be due to the fact that the majority of the yellows in australia are kept in with crystals as they were the first variant other than red to become widespread.

Over the several generations of being kept like this maybe they have become more favourable to those conditions?

I have the same results, I'm keeping mine in with my GB's & they are breeding like crazy, always out & active. I have about >50 shrimplets so maybe blindfisherman is on to something there. Also BB is having success with his blacks in low ph water, I think that they might have been accustomed to those WP in the tank they were in & the change wasn't accepted as well, now they are back in the original WP they are happy again. I don't know, just verbalising my thoughts, I could be way off :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Yes could be something in that anyway even if they don't breed I'm just happy to see yellows out and about:)

• HOF Member
I think it may be due to the fact that the majority of the yellows in australia are kept in with crystals as they were the first variant other than red to become widespread.

Over the several generations of being kept like this maybe they have become more favourable to those conditions?

Well these certainly seem a lot happier now so that's a good thing:encouragement:

Mine seem to be doing well in crystal WPs too :encouragement:

ineke, do the tanks have the same WP/maintenance/setup, all identical ? Bee Balls, mineral powder etc....?

Definitely, acclimatisation to WP is important. My black cherries remained breeding dormant for a while, and their breeding efficiency was extremely poor, but now with F2's, it's improving, and seem more "fertile". Many fishes have also adapted from a higher to lower PH. Tiger shrimps for example are bred in soft water in Asia, but hard in Europe...so perhaps your yellows are more oriental ? LOL

• HOF Member

I can't see their eyes!!!LOL

BB the Cherry tanks were different. Initially they went into a tank with puratap dechlorinated water ph 7.4, but the reds were breeding in these conditions really well. Wasn't doing other testing I got them as close to Gbangs WP's as I could with adelaide water and they seemed OK bred but lost the berries. I then went to RO water with Saluwesi salts PH still 7.4 TDS 170 GH 4 KH 3. Still hiding not happy so when the chocolates came I had to move the yellows in to the new 61 litre tank with benibachi soil, 1 mineral ball and azoo bio ball RO water TDS 132 gh 6 kh 2 ph 6 and within a few days they all came out of hiding and look very happy. Colour has improved and girls still saddled. I have been using Biozyme daily for about 4 weeks now . All I need now is for them to breed and then I know that this is their preferred WP.

Just my observation but the TDS of the first RO Sulawesi mix is a little high & the second one is spot on, they recommend an EC of 270 for Sulawesi but, depending on your conversion, that is a TDS of 135, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one but that may have had something to do with it :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I just tested the tank they were in and the chocolates are in at the moment my TDS is 172 and my EC 37 but according to the instructions have to times that by 10 so it's 370. Just did another tank TDS 193 and EC 430 I'm going to make some fresh RO water and test them together because I can't work those out I thought my TDS was good and have been going by that. Now with my EC pen I don't know where I'm at. I tried working out from the information Dean and BB gave but I'm lost. Will come back with the RO results soon

• HOF Member
Just my observation but the TDS of the first RO Sulawesi mix is a little high & the second one is spot on' date=' they recommend an EC of 270 for Sulawesi but, depending on your conversion, that is a TDS of 135, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this one but that may have had something to do with it :encouragement:[/quote']

The second reading was salty shrimp not saluwesi.

• HOF Member

Been doing some readings and my TDS pen is reading 10 for fresh RO water . I am going to do a small water change in my cherry tanks without salts

All my cherry var are kept with crystal shrimp in soft acid water good colour and breed non stop.Have found thou my yellows do not like hard alkaline water and breed much slower.But other var are less fussy on water type.

• HOF Member

Thanks Daydream due to running out of space I'm going to have to put most of my cherries in with crystals now just not sure what to do about my chocolates.so it's good to know people are having success with keeping them with crystals