Ahhh Kamikaze Shrimp :/

Peppy_11

Hi Guys,

My shrimp are climbing out of my tank and drying up on the floor. I have only had the shrimp for about 3 weeks and have had like 5-6 go for a wander and end up all crispy and stuck to my floor boards. All my parameters are good and ive got a big airstone in there, does anyone know why this is happening? It didnt happen in my last shrimp tank :(

Thanks

you need a lid :) \, shrimp are quiet known to escape tanks on a few occasions :). Exactly what water perimeters did you test?

I've recently had a problem with this too, I was told that it's mainly females that do this & for me, it's always the more expensive females(CRS, CBS, SW & GB's). I'm not sure if they are just exploring or what's going on but I have since sealed all my tanks & used gaff tape to seal where the airline comes into the tank. I know this isn't an explanation why but I hope it helps you stop the problem :encouragement:

I have found that my shrimp sometimes get spooked when the room is dark and light comes on. This may cause them to panic and dart backwards out of the water. Since you are losing them, I would try and cover the tank.

Exactly what water perimeters did you test?

Too funny Ozzie, this typo works because the shrimp are escaping, lol :smiley_simmons:

• HOF Member

Lids or lower water levels help too, make sure enough variety of food- BB told me that one mine did it a couple of times and I lowered the water level plus added more variety to diet and now apart from an occassional escapee into the sump I haven't had anymore problems:encouragement:

Too funny Ozzie' date=' this typo works because the shrimp are escaping, lol :smiley_simmons:[/quote']

yeah it was a deliberate typo too ..... -looks around-

Lids or lower water levels help too' date=' make sure enough variety of food- BB told me that one mine did it a couple of times and I lowered the water level plus added more variety to diet and now apart from an occassional escapee into the sump I haven't had anymore problems:encouragement:[/quote']

Got to agree, I keep my water level about 2 - 3cms plus a lid, not completely foolproof unless you seal it completely but generally enough to reduce.

Also some shrimp suchs as Amano's tend to climb a lot more regardless.

I tested Ph, Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia, Copper, GH, KH & TDS. I do have a lid but the lid doesnt cover the whole top as i needed to leave a bit of space for my canister inlet/outlet and my lighting to clip on :/ Getting really frustrated cos theres no way i can close off the back

• HOF Member

Squiggles Idea of gaffer tape might help Also if you know what elizabethan collars for dogs are you could make something similar to go around and pipes and wires to put a barrier there.

Why don't you try those cheap filter wool. They are fluffy so just put them inbetween the gap. If the gap is too big, you might have to use double layer of filter wool.