Watfish Shrimp Macros

watfish

Starting a thread for my shrimp macros :) There will be a separate one for fish in the fish section. First, the ones from the intro thread:

WEB2011-5480.jpgWEB5D3_2012-4671.jpgWEB5D3_2012-4416.jpgWEB5D3_2012-1542.jpgWEB5D3_2012-4894.jpgWEB2011-4416.jpgWEB5D3_2012-1653.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5180.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5490.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5443.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5498.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5499.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5516.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5520.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5527.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5539.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5577.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5716.jpgWEB5D3_2012-5751.jpg

• Like 1

Best shrimp photos on the net! These pics will be perfect for the upcoming SKF shrimp library :)

Also, can we have a full tank shot?

Just wonderfull !!!, wonderfull !!!! magic pictures thank you.

You know, my average macro's used to look pretty awesome till you turned up LOL. :sorrow:

Your shots are great, I love the colours. Still struggling to get them as nice as yours. Are these off the 600 flash and 100mm lens? The EXIF data showed a different lens.

Your photographs are amazing mate, thanks for sharing

Well, I'm not saying anything nice. I'm way to jealous to think clearly. Now, I'm off to flush my camera down the loo.

I don't want to know what lens or equipment you have as it would go straight over my head, but what dollar value is invested in the equipment to take those shots (if I may ask).

JJ.

Hi JustJamie,

The gear that I used to take my more recent photos consist of:

a camera, a lens, a external flash, some extension tubes, and a set of wireless triggers.

All up, over 5k worth of gear.

However! You don't need expensive gear to get into macro photography. In fact, some of my favourite photos (the very first shrimp photo in this thread, and the red ramshorn snail) were taken with:

a canon 550D (approx $500+ new, or less second hand)

a canon 60mm macro (approx $400 new, i sold mine for $260)

a yongnuo flash (less than $100 from ebay)

a flash bracket and triggers (less than $100)

So just over $1000 brand new, or maybe $800ish second hand. And there are also cheaper options that will give you great photos too. The $ of the gear is less important than the willingness to learn, and having a great deal of patience which is needed for taking macros (especially fish) :) I just hope that my photos can inspire people to get into the great hobby of photography.

Nice shots mate, your top snail one is similar to the one posted a little while ago. Did you get them from Dave as well? Have I already asked you about what extension tubes you are using?

Mate those shots are so inspiring!

I love the snail shots (surprisingly) .....

Hi Nogi, yes, that is a waterhouse snail from Dave. The extension tubes are Kenko DG extension tubes for canon .. you can find these on ebay for around $140+. They will allow you to focus closer (thereby magnifying the image), but you will need even more light.

Thanks durro! the crs that I got from you are still going strong, but I need to convince the missus that I will NEED a chiller before summer.....