My Black Cherry Shrimp

BlueBolts

Thought I'd start a new post for my selective breeding technique, I use for black cherries. Due to the issues of blacks potentially turning blue, brown ...with different WP, stress etc, PLUS with all tanks are designed for TB/Tiger, I deliberately placed my initial colony of black cherries with my GB/SW tank with PH at 5.4'ish, & GH at 4-5.... Over the past 12 months, I've culled 90+% of my stock, and only have 7-8 black cherries that I've selectively bred, to ensure I achieve the best quality of blacks I can...

Still lots of selective breeding required, and culling, but the results are starting to come through....

Berried Mamma

E56F04EE-FB28-4FD4-9C91-1B5950437BE1-10585-00000B7AA47BD87A.jpg

Male Black Cherry

2AB968A9-F6F8-44CD-BC58-A84ADEE07D25-9439-00000A9CBE9EA5DE.jpg

• HOF Member

Very very nice BB they are awesome. That depth of black is so well black! Where do the blacks come from- is it the chocolates?

Wow dude, they are seriously dark & solid, great work dude! :encouragement: What are the rest of the WPs or is that a closely guarded secret? :confused:

Very very nice BB they are awesome. That depth of black is so well black! Where do the blacks come from- is it the chocolates?
Yep' date=' originally from Choc cherries
Wow dude, they are seriously dark & solid, great work dude! :encouragement: What are the rest of the WPs or is that a closely guarded secret? :confused:
No secretes with me.... All my tanks are between 5-6.8.... TB's lower PH & Tigers higher PH, although depending in the selective program they're in, the reverse can happen. I do have a tank that has a PH of 7.4, that I have as a display, housing my cherries.
I would have thought you would have some with solid black legs BB.
You're a harsh critic. LOL, my females have black legs.... Will need to check my other males to see where they're at...

• HOF Member

Do you notice if the females get darker just before they are due to drop the shrimplets? My chocolate berried female was a very dark black/blue today rather than just a dark chocolate she is from Deans chocolate with blue and black genes. I tried to take a picture but the camera just couldn't pick it.

Do you notice if the females get darker just before they are due to drop the shrimplets? My chocolate berried female was a very dark black/blue today rather than just a dark chocolate she is from Deans chocolate with blue and black genes. I tried to take a picture but the camera just couldn't pick it.
Yeah' date=' their intensity does increase.
What do you keep your TDS/EC at?
TDS @ 150-160

Thanks BB, another interesting & informative read, good to know that you can still get the colour intensity from a lower ph, albeit from a very selective program, still it is possible :victorious:

Hello BB

What do you do with the culls???

Don't mind helping you out by freeing some tank space for you :)

Hello BB What do you do with the culls??? Don't mind helping you out by freeing some tank space for you :)
ATM' date=' they go back to the choc/blue/black cull tank.
Nice BB, I can see that I need to hurry up with some shrimp tank Bob
when it comes to shrimps, yes, urgency rules !
Nice one. Maybe I need to get a lower PH tank up and running.
the theory is there, unsure of the logic ?

• 6 months later...

Just an update .....

null_zps82981beb.jpg

Will move the colony to a higher PH over the next few weeks, and take to program up a notch !

Damn, its so glossy...nice work mate. It actually looks more darker than a king kong.

• HOF Member

That's one gorgeous shrimp BB I thought I had a few gems hidden away but my best isn't close to that one. Well done!

Very Nice Blacks BB ............... you've reminded me to post some of my own progress pics as well .soon ;)

Thanks. Problem with selective breeding is that it's a slow progress to gain a colony :-) but quality over quality every time.