breeding crystals

ineke

• HOF Member

Thanks Triggs may give the larger change a go. What are photoperiods ? Sorry haven't heard that term:encouragement:

Photoperiods are the time your lights are on, i.e. daytime :encouragement: the period that photosynthesis happens :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle thought it had something to do with light. Mine are on for about 4 then off for an hour then on again until I close the room up usually 6-8 hours a day. Was told if you switch off after 4 hours the algae doesn't like it. Seems to work. The BBA has gone and apart from the biofilm growing well no algae yet.

• HOF Member

it seems to work but i cant remember who first posted it:encouragement:

Regular photoperiods I find play a role also.

is there a recommended light period?? how long does everyone have their lights on for??

• HOF Member

Brad I think it depends on what plants you have. With my Red cherries I had the lights on for about 6-8 hours with an off period in the middle and they were constantly berried and my low intensity plants grew well without algae growing in the tank . That was over a period of 5 months. I wish I could remember who told me about the four hour period and algae but it seems to work. As for the shrimp I can't say because the room they are in is bright but no direct sunlight into the tanks because there is a verandah on that side of the house.

Most of my tanks are low/med light...so 6am-3pm. I would love them to be on a tad longer, but notice algae growing too much when I increase the period. So my light period is based on algae growth :-)

I keep mine on for 8 hours also.

This is just something I believe, not something I've read.