breeding crystals

ineke

• HOF Member

I have had my original crystals for a while now plus the new ones Brado sent me. I have about 35 so must be a reasonable male /female ratio. I have had no breeding at all- Brads might be a bit soon but my other 14 I have had for a good few months

They are in a 60 litre tank , benibachi soil, water is crystal clear, plants and moss in tank, plenty of hiding places, variety of foods and veg 2-3 times a week plus biozyme everyday. I have cut back on feeding -they actually come and get the food when offered.

WP"s

TDS 135

GH 6

KH 2

PH 6

Temp 23-24

Ammonia and nitrites 0

Nitrates 0-5

RO water with salty shrimp water top ups RO only.

Does this all look OK. I'm not worried too much if they don't breed yet but just want to know that I have everything right. I think I have and last week had a few moults lying around. No deaths , shrimp seem bright and active. Anything else I should be doing?

I have not been doing water changes other than siphoning out any uneaten food.

Thanks

Those water parameters are very good for CRS, maybe they haven't started breeding as they are not mature yet. Can you see any saddled CRS in your tank?

Do you feed frozen bloodworms every now and then? That seems to work for me...also do small water changes every fortnight to simulate rain. My TDS is 185-200 and they seem happy and breeding nicely, sometimes straight after dropping shrimplets they will berry up again next day or two.

• HOF Member

I can't pick any with saddles but that may just be that they are not so easy to see. I have seen the boys doing their crazy dance a few times but can't see any eggs. I'm used to the cherries who are easy to see.

I have some mature crystals as well as young ones.

Would a water change help even though it all is within ideal parameters?

I know patience is the key and not particularly worried about not breeding but just want to make sure I am doing all the right things.

• HOF Member

I do feed bloodworms about once a week it looks like I might need to do some water changes. I will give that a go.

I know in nature a lot of critters breed when it rains or a storm front is at hand...So I do small water changes to try and simulate that every now and then, it was also some advise from BB. Why not try it wouldn't hurt to do small ones (10%) and try the frozen bloodworms also it works great!

• HOF Member

As I said I use the bloodworms once a week so I will do some water changes tomorrow and see how they go . Thanks:encouragement:

Sorry you must have been typing the post about you feeding bloodworms the same time as me so I didn't see it, but hope they will start breeding for you.

• HOF Member

Thanks I am happy that they seem healthy and active and was wondering about the water changes because that is something I used to do but then got the impression that it was best not to do that. I'm really happy to go back to doing 10% weekly changes. I feed my fish bloodworms everyday so I might give the shrimp a few extra maybe twice a week instead of once a week. I also have a large range of foods( thanks Izzy) so feed them something different each time they get fed. Looks like its time for candles and mood music:encouragement:

Ineke.... Definitely water change 5-10% weekly. Sounds like you've got a go varied diet, and WP.....how old is the tank. If you're desperate, there's always the "breeding liquid". BhahahahhahahaBhahahahhahaha

When a water change is done, then WP will change abit and that is what stimulate them to molt. Shrimps can only breed after they moult when there shell is soft. that is what I read from breeder over sea. On the other hand , he could be wrong but it make sense to me.

If you're desperate' date=' there's always the "breeding liquid". BhahahahhahahaBhahahahhahaha[/quote']

What's wrong with "breeding liquid" BB, you say that like you think it doesn't work, lol :smiley_simmons: (by the way, this was written in "sarcastica font" lol)

• HOF Member
Ineke.... Definitely water change 5-10% weekly. Sounds like you've got a go varied diet' date=' and WP.....how old is the tank. If you're desperate, there's always the "breeding liquid". BhahahahhahahaBhahahahhahaha[/quote']

I must get that secret water. The tank is only about 3 weeks old , plenty of biofilm on the glass and everything in it was from a cycled tank - substrate , water, filters and medium. I'm not too worried about not breeding yet but more that I'm doing the right thing. I read on one thread not to do water changes just top ups so had stopped doing the changes but wasn't happy with that and did water changes on my cherry tanks today which made me think about the crystals that is why I put this thread up. I have always done 10% water changes on all my tanks and thought it a bit strange not doing them, especially in my nano tanks. So I'm going back to my old ways and see what happens. If they still don't look like breeding I will spend the money and get the secret water !!!!!!!:encouragement:

• HOF Member
When a water change is done' date=' then WP will change abit and that is what stimulate them to molt. Shrimps can only breed after they moult when there shell is soft. that is what I read from breeder over sea. On the other hand , he could be wrong but it make sense to me.[/quote']

I think you are right MrShrimp that was my understanding but then I read about not doing changes and thought I was doing the right thing. I guess everyone to their own thinking but I'm much happier doing 10% water changes so I'm going back to that:encouragement:

• HOF Member
What's wrong with "breeding liquid" BB' date=' you say that like you think it doesn't work, lol :smiley_simmons: (by the way, this was written in "sarcastica font" lol)[/quote']

I thought BB was talking about his secret shrimp water that's theMAGIC water!,!:couple_inlove:

Sssshhhhhh!! It's a secret, lol :barbershop_quartet_ I only do 5% water changes when I do them :encouragement:

• HOF Member

It's still a secret lol no body knows !!!! I do 5-10% depending on how the water looks . When I did a change in the cube they all came out and sat in the area I was slowly putting the water in. They do that for the weekly top ups too! Just looove the fresh water

The tank is only about 3 weeks old

Ahhh, the new tank phenomena...... New environment,...etc....may take 5-8 weeks before you see any berried girls. Depend on a few factors/additives, but patience is always the best !

• HOF Member

Yes no hurry and I guess even my original crystals have had a few moves since I've had them. I still have to take the CBS out as they are in with the CRS. I am just changing the water in the tank I used for the Red Cherries to something closer to what the CBS need and then will put them in there. That's the big 100 litre planted tank so that will set them back further still but don't really want the two types interbreeding. The first 6 I got came from a mixed tank and the others are from Brad so they definitely need to be in separate tanks.

• HOF Member

WooHoo to me .Changed the water yesterday berried Golden Bee Today doing the happy dance:triumphant::triumphant::smiley_simmons:

Only trouble is I won't know what she mated with and I have CRS and CBS in the tank at the moment but who cares I've got a berried Crystal

Awesome stuff Ineke, I heard that woohoo from up here, lol :victorious: Now you got 3-4 weeks of looking at berries, so exciting! :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Thanks Squiggle I actually got a shock seeing this shrimp upside down with eggs so excited ! :encouragement:

I personally do 30% water changes with my CBS.

As long as the replacement water parameters are as close to ideal as possible it causes no harm.

Larger water changes tends to make my CBS do the love dance.

Regular photoperiods I find play a role also.