How many shrimpers use activated carbon to polish water in CRS tanks?

Eshrimp

I personally don't use activated carbon in any of my tanks (fresh or marine) but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with using it on CRS tanks?

• HOF Member

I have used it in the old corner filters to clean up a tank quickly but I am now a purigen convert- that stuff is amazing! Stinks but works really well. I also have a large fish tank that never quite had the sparkle I liked but now with the purigen it is crystal clear.

Yeah, if you've got the choice, Purigen is definitely the way to go, you'll use less & it's way more effective, plus it's rechargable so wins all round! :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I use my purigen in a power filter and transfer it to any tank needing a bit of a "polish" then when I don't need it I pop it in the overhead trickle filter in my fish tank. I will be buying more because it is just so good.

I use the purigen equivalent in my filters.

Squiggle! We have a Macropore user here! What should be done!

Each to their own dude' date=' I'm not going there again, lol :victorious:[/quote']

LOL! Just trying to stir up some trouble...hahaha! Truth be told I use both, so I am neutral!

Lol, I knew what you were doing, I bit one before & it bit me in the ass, hahaha :victorious: This ones for you Chi, PURIGEN RULES!!! :smiley_simmons:

I use activated charcoal....bit old fashioned I know, BUT I prefer to hear the fizzle of new activated carbon, so that I know it's "active".....purchased purigen for the 1st time last month, and have them in all my nano tanks .... Can only presume it works well.

Yeah that fizzle is pretty cool to listen to, I used to love using Aquasonics phosphate sponge(it's no longer available but I still have about half a kilo left that's never been used) it would fizzle & give off a great deal of heat, so you put it in a steel baking tray, add water & feel the warmth in the bottom of the tray, great in the winter, lol :victorious: It was also rechargable, just bake it in the oven & the same thing would happen first time you put it back in water again :encouragement: