Finally - My new setup (Shrimp Stand 1)

KiwiBigD

So last September I was just in the stage of ordering my new stand when I got made redundant. This kicked me back a bit but finally I've got

my stand in place, tanks all painted and setup and finally cycling. At this stage they've been cycling for just on a week and coming along reasonably

well bar a few minor changes need to be made plus I'm waiting on a number of plants and mosses to fill them out. The lower lot still don't have

their pots for planting but that will be sorted shortly.

So come today this is how its looking:

0CC9BC35-6718-4572-8573-2B7FC2B0B5D7-11779-00000D215D279B74.jpg

B7E4EE00-BB8C-4462-9BDB-837979823E81-11779-00000D236FBC1A50.jpg

A24C0B99-EFB8-4BA2-B478-E2FF501706B5-11779-00000D23881DFBF7.jpg

The heater has been straightened since the lower shot and yes I have disturbed the substrate but its clearing.

Still has a bit of work to go but WPs are looking good, ammonia is dropping, Ph is stable. Another couple of weeks

and the first occupants go on.

Great work KiwiBigD. Excites me everytime I see a breeding rack. What substrate are you using ? What sort of filter is that ?

Awesome work BigD, looks very sexy indeed :encouragement: Can't wait to see it full of spunky shrimpies, well done dude :victorious:

Thanks guys ;-) I'm using ADA Powder, actually ADA Amazonian II and ADA Malaya Powder, a 50/50 blend so I don't have a straight

black substrate which to my mind the colour isn't completely natural, soils have clay often so browns more as a rule. Looks much

better without the lights on in the room. I'm pretty stoked so far ;-)

Got to say THANKS to HeavyD for helping lift the top set of 4 into place as well, that was a beast. 10mm glass is solid but heavy.

Looks great KiwiBigD, how much room do you have to get hands, arms into the tanks, for scaping and catching shrimp?

Looks great KiwiBigD' date=' how much room do you have to get hands, arms into the tanks, for scaping and catching shrimp?[/quote']

Yeah that part would be a bit tight ;-) However there is a bit of extra room going through the sides but I probably should have added another 5cm

height between layers, that would have been the smart move. I went to a 45cm tall tank as opposed to my usual 40cm but hopefully won't have to

put my hands in the tank that often anyway. Otherwise just become really good with long nets and tongs as required.

Ninja, I know what you mean. I'm hoping to win it but we'll see yet, still got some time to go.

The filtration I'm using are Fluval U2 and U3 internal filters, they're 5w and 7.5w a piece. I'm using the U2 in the small 75L tanks as

they do 400lhr and the U3 in the 150L tanks at 600lhr. Filtration seems pretty good on the whole, quite a nice little quiet filter and

they blend in reasonably well. Had been using a U3 as a test in a 65L tank and it worked perfectly well not losing any shrimplets

that I could see into the intake. The intake is on the sides and quite wide so it draws a more gentle current on the inlet and has a

great output on the outlets, I'm really happy with them.

So no sump?

Nope, no sump. Each tank is completely isolated. I'm using the section under the stand for storage, same on top. Plus this means I can

vary each tank depending on what's being kept. Okay, its going to be pure CRSs, CBSs, Michlings, King Kongs, Ruby Reds and Tigers

so all similar WPs and all will be very similar anyway as I keep the tanks maintained the same but also means I can experiment a bit as

well with the setup and not impact the others.

SO the 2 D's got together to put it together ha? I like it! How much did it end up costing you so far Kiwi, rough estimate?

Yep HeavyD and BigD lifted a few tanks that day lol

The rack looks fantastic, and I can't wait to see the shrimp out of the low-lying tanks and into viewing height, where they can be better appreciated.

Looking good mate, there is a lot of fun to be had there and hair to sweep up when you pull it out for thing that wont quite go right = Shrimp keeping LOL

Keep up the photos as the critters go in.

Bob

Nice work BigD' date=' we finally get to see your work :) can wait t see more...[/quote']

Thanks Dean, finally making progress after a long time. Got a few of the stems today I've been waiting on so the first four tanks are

coming along well:

Tank 1

DA4A8EF7-28BB-40D9-A01F-0079B4B3966A-11779-00000E7038CB3DD5.jpg

Tank 2

BACD8ABA-4BDF-4B0C-AC57-820CD7BEA7CD-11779-00000E7052C9B49C.jpg

Tank 3

65D41604-C7FC-4DFE-999B-591183E36C67-11779-00000E70790AA9C0.jpg

Tank 4

DA684A2C-7949-4C31-812F-04185614E5BA-11779-00000E709C34C229.jpg

Each plant is growing a different plant, mainly for diversity and to see how each fares in pretty much identical conditions. But so far so good

Is that my tornado you got in tank 1 ? :crushed:

That it would be ;-) Only 3 small cuttings which should secure themselves pretty quickly I hope. Beautiful little plant and really looking

forward to seeing how it goes, theres enough light in there I believe to keep them happy and hopefully bushy.

You really love your stem plants davin.you know who to ask if you want nano plants :)

I know LOL I've got a few more plants and mosses due yet as well ;-) Once everything has settled I can work out the last few things required

prior to the shrimps going in. But its looking alright so far

How many racks are you planing to set up in total? I hope you plan for the next summer heat.

Looking awesome BigD, can't wait to see some gorgeous shrimp in there, they should love it :encouragement:

Heat won't be an issue, I need to resolve the current high temperatures as it is, suspect a couple of the heaters have gotten stuck otherwise I'm looking to replace the

lighting. I'm hoping its just a faulty thermometer as my tanks are showing 27c presently but thats helping with the bacteria growth during the cycling period so I'm alright

with that. Plus we're in a garage and I'm putting up 300mm polysterene to insulate the garage and probably a couple of circulatory fans as well. I actually found the

heat last summer wasn't too bad on the whole, all bar the previous tanks which I've since sold, the rest of my tanks behaved perfectly well and all occupants okay.

As for medium term, well I'm looking to add probably another set of the exact same. I think 16 tanks will do the room nicely, its just getting the layout that I'm happy

with. The first lot of shrimps I'm hoping to add next week, they should be right, really looking forward to getting the first lot in.