Damselfly nymph in my tank...eek!

torface

I was just watching my shrimps when I saw this weird thing in my tank. It took a joint effort of my boyfriend and I to catch the horrible beast which I then easily identified thanks to Deans aquarium creatures post... What a disgusting creature.

Question is, how did this get into my tank and is there likely to be more??

Everything that goes into your tank should go through a hydrogen peroxide dip. That's 2 liters RO water mix with 2-3 ml peroxide (35% grade ) for about 30 second. This will ensure no bacteria or hydra get into your tank. Once you introduce a pest in your aquarium, it's very hard to kill them without killing high grade shrimps. Just a thought.

Yes i know that now, but I wasn't a member of a good forum like this when I set up this tank :(

just hope there isn't more...

It would have been sometime in the last couple of weeks, either you added a piece of wood or rock to the tank or, heaven forbid & this is what happened to me, they've laid the eggs directly in the tank. When this happened to me about ten years ago, I remembered seeing the dragonfly in the house, I pulled thirty seven of the nasty little f#€@ers out of my tank, I put them in a jar to take to the fish shop in the morning for ID & when I woke up there was only one left without its head been eaten, brutal! I shudder to think what would happen if that happened to a shrimp tank. I really hope there was only one but I suggest you keep a close eye for any more :encouragement:

Ooops, reading this thread really reminds me to be more careful with what I put in my tanks.

I guess I have been very lucky that I haven't introduced anything nasty into my tanks yet being totally oblivious (or ignorant) about this subject.

Forgot to mention to boil and wood that goes in the tank. Boil for 15 minute plus.

Hmm we'll I'm pretty sure my boyfriend would have noticed a dragonfly in the house. We have fly screens on every door and window and they never get left open so I'm pretty sure I'm safe in that respect.

Im looking at my tank now and I can't see any, but they're pretty well camouflaged!

i have some plants floating in a breeder box because I don't have anywhere to plant them yet. I tried to plant some of those last break, that's the only "new" thing that's gone in recently. But they've been in that breeder box for ages so I would've thought any nasties either would've climbed out sooner or died of hunger in there. I also put some driftwood in about 4-6 weeks ago but same again, it was soaking for about 2 months! Unless the damselfly nymph came in in an egg. I'm not really sure how these things work.

oh we'll lesson learnt!

They usually hide under stuff or between stuff :encouragement:

That's not good news, better take everything out and double check just to make sure.

Really? It's a planted tank so if I uprooted all the plants it'd probably release a whole load of ammonia and kill the shrimps :/

Bummer you don't want to do that, maybe check the plants really really well & keep a sharp eye on the tank :dejection:

In that case do what I do, at night when lights go out get a torch a shine it one spot at a time. This way you can focus on one spot at a time. I do this when Im searching for hydra in my TB tank as I can't use any chemical. Thanks to Dean for showing me this method.

It would have been sometime in the last couple of weeks' date=' either you added a piece of wood or rock to the tank or, heaven forbid & this is what happened to me, they've laid the eggs directly in the tank. When this happened to me about ten years ago, I remembered seeing the dragonfly in the house, I pulled thirty seven of the nasty little f#€@ers out of my tank, I put them in a jar to take to the fish shop in the morning for ID & when I woke up there was only one left without its head been eaten, brutal! I shudder to think what would happen if that happened to a shrimp tank. I really hope there was only one but I suggest you keep a close eye for any more :encouragement:[/quote']

Reminds me of when we used to go out sampling rivers out west, always had to put the animals in alcohol otherwise by the time we go back to the lab, the dragonfly larvae would have eaten half the sample.

Potassium permanganate (aka kondys crystals) also makes a good dip for new stuff going into a tank. Dechlorinator will neutralise any residual.

I think its ok as i gave all the plants a good shake and didnt see anything. I'll try the spotlight technique tonight though, thanks MrShrimp.