I need some advice on my Mishling

Squiggle

Hey guys, as it says I need some advice on my Mishling. I can out to the tanks this morning & was doing a rollcall & my Mishling was missing. Frantically I checked the tank, then started checking around the tank, no joy on either! So I started expanding my search & since her tank is on the edge of the stand I started checking the floor & there she was on the tiles lifeless & colourless, my blood instantly ran cold, I picked her up thinking the worst but she was still very soft so I put her back in the water & her tail started slowly moving. I started feeding everyone else while watching her & a couple of legs & pincers started moving too. I had to leave for work & hope for the best, when I got home she was gone & I hoped everything was ok but when I looked for her she was on her back & still moving. What I want advice on is how can I help her recover? Is there anything I can do to make the chances of her survive better? I really want her to survive :dejection:

Where do I breath into? Do I do heart massage too? Do I blow in air or water? So many questions, lol :smiley_simmons:

Hopefully one of the pro can give you some better advice... but until then... shouldn't you be doing chest compressions? :P

• HOF Member

Try suspending her in a net close to the bubbles I think someone else had a thread about the same thing and that"s what they did. Eventually she climbed out by herself and was ok

Yeah I'm doing chest, or whatever you call it on a shrimp, compressions, lol :encouragement: I have just added another airstone next to her so there's more flow around her, she's still kicking & moving. I think she's getting a bit more colour back into her :encouragement:

Hi squiggle...you won't be the first or last, but what ineke posted is exactly what I'd do....."try suspending her in a net close to the bubbles". Advantage there is the aeration/water movement, and not getting further stressed and hassled by other shrimps. If she has a chance to make it, she will...I recalled once a shrimp made the mad jump, and when I found it, he wa almost crisp to touch...i threw him in floating tank, a i had to rush out, and on my return, he was happily swimming around ! Although, I think he was brain damaged, as he used to do the most particular things ! I should have taken a video !

• Like 1

The only other shrimp in the tank is the panda boy, I'm just worried that if I suspend her in a net the panda will climb out :dejection: I'm convinced that if she survives she will be one of those "special" shrimp. I'll go see if I can figure out a way to have the net in the tank while still having the lid on, hmmmmmm :confused:

Thanks everyone :encouragement:

do you have an internal breeder box? I you might be able to modify it and place a bit of cloth or something drooping down into it with airstone underneath?

I don't, the tank isn't deep enough for a breeder box but I could try & make something out of foam, perspex & mesh :encouragement:

I've had this issue before I would seperate her in a container/breeder and run an airstone, so far 2/3 have survived..Good luck mate!

• HOF Member

Or cut the handle off the net and tie that to something to suspend it near the bubbles

the glass lid would be ok to tie it to

I gave it my best effort & unfortunately I have terrible news, she passed away about 30 mins ago, I sat there for last 20mins watching her & she has moved at all :sorrow:

• HOF Member

Aw wow damn sorry Squiggle what a bummer geez just when things were looking so good

Sorry to hear mate, but that is the game of shrimp keeping, there will be life to replace her death. Just remain positive!

Thanks guys, it was pretty distressing to watch her just lying there but as you said Chi, there's always life to replace death, thank you! :encouragement: