Up close and Personal with a riffle

Baccus

Thought this pic was too good not to share of one of my little riffle shrimp. I tried conning them out of the log with defrosted daphnia to no avail, but then put in some nori sheet and out they came to investigate. P1000449_zps05a6d6d8.jpg

Some okish photos of one of my riffles feeding with his little baskets. P1000520_zpse41830cc.jpg P1000521_zps89d0b9b3.jpg P1000528_zpsd9200214.jpg They really do hate to co-operate with me and my camera. Also got these photos yesterday P1000508_zps17723b14.jpg P1000506_zps4cad67f7.jpg

• HOF Member

Very cool shrimp. Don't ya hate it when they stay just that bit too far away for a close up?:encouragement:

Very nice pics, they can be very illusive sometimes, I usually end up taking about fifty shots to get one good one, why can't they stay still for a bit? Lol :encouragement:

50 pfffft, I wish I was limited to taking 50, they can be so frustrating.

The little dears (more like pearls LOL) where sort of out last night having a feed, If you look closely you should be able to see their baskets spread wide. I only photographed them by chance after the flash on the camera lit them up, otherwise I couldn't see them in the dark of the shadow. There is a cherry shrimp with them again too. P1000587_zpse44c6da2.jpg P1000616_zps88bfd2b5.jpg And just because she was out and about a very berried Typhus Shrimp P1000618_zps8a8d8988.jpg

Awesome pics again Baccus, love the one of the typhus, well done :encouragement:

Thanks, at times the typhus can be more annoying than the riffles since they hate the flash of the camera and scarper off at the first sign of light. I have one female typhus that is blue/ black absolutely stunning but she is always well hidden or out of camera range.

I think the odd one or two have, but the truth be told its a large deep tank with a huge hollow log and other places any young can hide. The down side is that the tank also has a lot of guppies that are gradually being reduced. The typhus and riffle shrimp are only in this tank because it is so deep and hoped that the deepness of the water would slow them down on their usual plans of wondering off, since my tanks are open topped. So far it seems to have worked. They typhus have not roamed and the furtherest the riffles ended up was inside the HOB filters.

Great photo! With the photo of the Riffle's beside the Cherry Shrimp; are they adults or still juvies? They look tiny!

Yeah the riffle are pretty much adult but male because of their small size, it is only when they get bigger (4cm+) they will have a sex change and become female. Fascinating shrimp and I am always stocked to see them feeding with their baskets. Can't wait for them to grow bigger and the baskets more obvious and easier to photograph.

Oh, the riffle shrimp are very cute! Look at their googley eyes! :D

Do they really change their sex?

Every piece of information about them via, other peoples personal experiences, books, and internet all say that they do. I guess I will find out once these guys grow up a bit. But for now I have to go with the experts on this and say yes they do change sex.

Can't wait for the moment when they say: Darling...there is something I have to tell you. I wasn't born a woman. I was born as a MAN! :D

LOL LOL LMFAO made my day.

OH dear that's hoot LOL

The do for sure change sex, as do Typus, Barramundi and many other natives OH and some people do to

Good to see the Riffles made the trip home well Baccus, you should see the run of young one there now WOW, a bad wet favours them by the looks of things.

Bob

Can't wait for the moment when they say: Darling...there is something I have to tell you. I wasn't born a woman. I was born as a MAN! :D

Pmsl, that's gold Garnelchen, too funny!! :victorious:

Really cool shrimp Baccus! :)

Thanks and here are some more, a riffle line up...does this mean I now have a stream in my tank? LOL P1000667_zpsfbf56839.jpg P1000668_zps5231dbee.jpg P1000677_zps98f78c5f.jpg OH dear that's hoot LOL

The do for sure change sex, as do Typus, Barramundi and many other natives OH and some people do to

Good to see the Riffles made the trip home well Baccus, you should see the run of young one there now WOW, a bad wet favours them by the looks of things.

Bob Obivously the shrimp use the extra water either for the males to make it up stream to the females or they are hoping females got washed down to them. I wonder if your riffles from around Cairns would have slight differences to my local ones? Also I don't suppose you happened to get any females Bob? I know mine can grow up and change but it would be nice to have a couple of females already handy.

Yea I got some girls

I have some captive breed one to, all to small to be effective males yet to.

Bob

• 3 months later...

My riffles seem to changing colours from the blue/ grey with a tan stripe to golden/ yellow. Very pretty which ever colour they choose :tears_of_joy: P1010843_zpscd80124b.jpg P1010852_zpsd430cb30.jpg P1010860_zpsb880a8c4.jpg P1010863_zps29dee2a7.jpg