Aggro CRS?

gravychic

Hey guys

I've noticed one of my larger CRS likes to chase and harass cherries, and only the berried ones. All the other CRS seem to be fine but this one particular one gets really narky whenever she gets near a berried cherry and chases and tries to grab a hold of them whenever they come close. Is this normal? Has anyone else noticed this behavior with their CRS?

Thanks

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne.....be great if you could post a vid. Only cherries, and not CRS's ? I don't think it'll be a territorial / species bevahiour, but perhaps a hunger/lack of food instinct ? Although, I'm sure shrimps have different personalities too ? LOL

shes the alpha female in the tank lol or perhaps female cherry shrimp take her fancy :P

Yep it goes only for the cherries, just the berried ones and leave all other shrimp alone. There should be plenty of food in the tank as there is plenty of mulm and algae, I also feed them every couple days with fresh veg/fruit/algae/pellets etc. Maybe she got a taste of the cherry eggs and wants more? She does leave the berried red nosed shrimp and ghost shrimp alone, I don't know what it is she just hates the berried cherries, either that or has a weird cherry fetish!

I think she might of harassed 1 a bit too much cos I found a dead pregnant cherry at the bottom of the tank today :( RIP girl. I will try and post a vid when I can catch her doing it again, but hopefully she will cut it out and leave the poor mommas alone!

• HOF Member

Awwww sorry for your loss. I am amazed at how aggressive/possessive shrimp in general are. I have had many a laugh when they fight over a piece of food and victoriously run with it you can almost hear them saying mine mine mine LOL. But yes I too have some aggressive shrimp that seem to pick on any and every other shrimp.