Sign in to follow this  
fish4fish3

Levamisole and shrimp?

fish4fish3

Was looking at levamisole to clear a nematode outbreak with my fish. Have shrimp in there too and after reading several different threads and articles read 2 different stories.

so putting it out there. Will cherry shrimp survive a few doses of levamisole?

read this article that I found and somewhere in there it said crustaceans should be fine

then I read another article that said that inverts wont.

blindfisherman

I have dosed L.... to rid some fish of camalanus worms and can say that i didnt notice a single dead shrimp through any of the 3 treatments.

fish4fish3

That's good to hear. I'm not too worried as they are just a cleaning crew but I don't like killing things especially if I can help it.

fish4fish3

Have given a dose of levamisole and the Cherrys are fine.

so I too can confirm that levamisole and cherry shrimp is ok.

fishmosy

Further to this, I have been treating a case of camalanus worms with Nilverm (Levamisole) and Panacur25 (fenbendazole) under the following schedule with no deaths noted amongst cherry shrimp or pest snails (mini ramshorns).

Day 1: Nilverm 1mL per 7L of tank water

Day 2: Panacur25 1mL per 40L of tank water

Day 3: Nothing

Day 4: Nothing

Day 5: Nothing

Day 6: Nothing

Day 7: 25% water change

Repeat schedule from Day 14 to kill any hatched eggs.

The enemy (camalanus worms)

21E3B2DF-A5EF-4FB9-85C7-845BBEC0BF93-9406-00000CD7696790A6_zpsef67b212.jpg

BlueBolts
21E3B2DF-A5EF-4FB9-85C7-845BBEC0BF93-9406-00000CD7696790A6_zpsef67b212.jpg Eeewwww, that's gross !

shrimpstan

Now that's a serious case of the worms!! :p

jayc

Did that fish survive?

blindfisherman
Did that fish survive?

Pretty sure it is dead. The worms come out like that when the fish die.

fishmosy
Pretty sure it is dead. The worms come out like that when the fish die.
Did that fish survive?
Yeah it was dead. There was actually a bunch more worms pop out when I gave its guts a squeeze. Poor thing, must have been chock full of them. I always give dead fish a squeeze to check for worms, luckily I did as I hadn't noticed them in my bristlenoses (hide all the time) which were the ones who brought them in. Reminds me of when my step-brother in law bought a 12week old pup from a backyard breeder. When she was wormed, her crap for the next two days looked like spaghetti (without the sauce). Poor thing. Anyway moral of the story is quarantine your fish and don't buy from backyard dog 'breeders'.