Question about breeding blue cherries

ineke

• HOF Member

I'm still curious as I have a couple of I guess Blue Velvet that came with Dean's Rillis. What about the blues that come from chocolate where do they come in? If you have Blues from the rilli variant and blues from the chocolate variant would you breed them together or keep them as a separate type. At the moment i have at least 2 male blue velvet /rilli not sure if there are any pure blue females yet and I have a couple of darker blues from the chocolate if I can ever get to see them! Do I keep the chocolate blues with the chocolates or mix them with the blue velvet/rilli? It's all very interesting and I want to do the best I can but wouldn't want to mix 2 different blue variants if that is detrimental- and no I don't know what direction I want to take yet hence the questions:)

Lol this same question was asked a couple of days ago?

Not sure what you'd get, you'd just have to try it and see :encouragement:

Personally I haven't because the blues from chocolates still show a lot of chocolate sometimes. But when the blue is purer and when I have more tanks......more tanks! I'd love to try crossing them as well!!!! Calling for boss aquaria!!!! Boss aquaria please start up a lab experiment!!! Unless its already been done hehehhe

• HOF Member

I'm keeping mine apart for now but was just curious as both variants are cherries. The blue from the chocolate is more intense than the rilli blue though.

• HOF Member
Lol this same question was asked a couple of days ago?

Not sure what you'd get' date=' you'd just have to try it and see :encouragement:[/quote']

No I think that was crossing chocolates with other colours I think. I'm talking about the blue's that some of the chocolates throw they are a very different blue to the Blue Velvet/rilli

ineke, just for you....

My selective Blue Cherry programme has progressed well, despite not having the ideal WP for them, thus breeding hasn't been prolifically rampant...etc, BUT it's a side project, and happy with the results/variants to date...

My selective breeding program was initiated with a small colony of Choc Base Blue Cherry....

47968940-A0D1-4980-84FC-30C94D036FCF-6383-0000075DF5FFDB71.jpg

After 2-3 generation, I managed to eliminate the choc out of the blue .....

2E0A2C95-8009-4E53-883B-5EF3829F6878-6383-0000074D31322940.jpg

The proceeding generation produced some really dark blue cherries, but decided they were too dark blue (difficult to see the blue, unless a torch is shined ot it.....), so only selectively bred the lighter blues...

The proceeding generation ...

1B8F4856-FD1F-4A1E-8C21-31140471F46E-7565-000009710320DF79.jpg

Used the darker blue x with the Blue Velvet, and the results are ...

5437BC1B-91B2-4714-B037-344A783503D8-3542-00000448573AF07C.jpg330A9D7F-7C7C-4D79-8DB8-84209CC3048A-3542-0000044861C6DCF8.jpg

Still lots of selective breeding to be done, and to secure a shade of blue that appeals. Then the next challenge is getting them to breed true !

No I think that was crossing chocolates with other colours I think. I'm talking about the blue's that some of the chocolates throw they are a very different blue to the Blue Velvet/rilli

Sorry I meant it was asked by another member. Not by you...

nice blues BB! Maybe you can give this a go ineke...

• HOF Member

Oh wow BB they are gorgeous. That is something I will definitely look into when my numbers increase. I have a few blue velvet/rilli and also 2 blue chocolates so depending on how the early breeding goes I could set aside a couple of tanks for that. Thank you. That's exactly what I wanted to know.:encouragement:

So we've got Blue Bolts and Blue Cherrys eh? Ah you sure you're not artificially inseminating these yourself mate? Really beginning to

wonder if we shouldn't be calling you blue balls at this rate ;-)

they are so cool BB!

If you ever get rid of some of your blue culls please let me know i would be very interested :)

Just managed to find this pic....one of my original blues. I personally prefer the type of colour/vibrance of the yellow's, red's from choc...the illuminating/vibrance colour, rather then the deep strong colouration .... especially in the blues, as mentioned, they look dark brown/black under low and medium light. It's all a hit and a miss..

Be great to see more pics of blue cherries that's around .... please post pics..

EB3D5821-DF8F-4ECC-BA96-403F4C6CC555-13124-00000FD73434F6A1.jpg

Wow BB! They are some stunning blue variations, such strong colour, awesome work! :encouragement:

Damn! Now I want Blue Cherries!!

+1 Agree, everything BB does adds another shrimp to the list of wants, lol :victorious:

• HOF Member
Just managed to find this pic....one of my original blues. I personally prefer the type of colour/vibrance of the yellow's' date=' red's from choc...the illuminating/vibrance colour, rather then the deep strong colouration .... especially in the blues, as mentioned, they look dark brown/black under low and medium light. It's all a hit and a miss..

Be great to see more pics of blue cherries that's around .... please post pics..

[img']http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w515/bluebolts/EB3D5821-DF8F-4ECC-BA96-403F4C6CC555-13124-00000FD73434F6A1.jpg

I agree this is a very vibrant colour however there is a certain charm to the lighter ones as well. Is there a colour variation between males and females?

This thread has really inspired me to make a very hard decision, I am going to give my best Reds to the Red Cherry breeding program and give away all but a couple of my Reds to make space for more selective breeding of my chocolates and Rillis. I've dabbled around the edge of having everything and now want to concentrate on these in the cherries ( still have a few yellows who will stay in with the crystals) and will also keep the crystals.

These blues just have something and I want it!!!!

Kinda looks a bit purple in that pic, very cool! a new colour all together :victorious: