My new rack & tanks

Squiggle

Looks brilliant Squiggs!! Inspiring as always!!

So, next rack already planned?? What are the extra sponges in there for??

Thanks for sharing the journey and giving others many ideas...............

Thanks dude, the next rack is already built & I only have one thing to do & it's finished. :beer:

The extra sponges are so when I clean the sponge filters I just change the sponge & it's clean & full of bacteria, then I wash the old sponge completely in tap water & return it to the tank to fill up with bacteria, ready for the next change. :D

Thanks dude' date=' the next rack is already built & I only have one thing to do & it's finished. :beer:

The extra sponges are so when I clean the sponge filters I just change the sponge & it's clean & full of bacteria, then I wash the old sponge completely in tap water & return it to the tank to fill up with bacteria, ready for the next change. :D[/quote']

Love the sponge idea, yet another brilliant way to make it less maintenance. Great work!!

Wow Squiggle~!

A - mazing!!!!!

one day I hope to have a set up like this XD

Excellent sponge idea also!!

Thanks! I know you'll get there soon enough. :D

Again I have to credit the big man for the sponge idea, Dean is da man! :beer:

possibly a stupid question but whats the reasoning between all the sponge filters and having a sump? just overkill or failsafe or another reason?

There's no stupid questions here dude. If you'll notice in the plumbing the tanks have individual taps on each tank, so if I have to medicate or treat any tank for anything(I have already had to treat two tank for hydra & planaria) I can switch any tank out of the system & if I do that then there is still filtration in the tank. Also, sponge filters are a great source of food for shrimplets &, as you've mentioned, as much extra filtration as you can put in there can only be a good thing, sponge filters are very good for biological filtration. :encouragement:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey Squiggs, brilliant setup!

did anyone find out the name of the truck body boards which you are using? I'm in Melbourne, and getting started back into the Aqua scene. Used to run marine setups, had everything plumbed in under the house, sump and filters all outside, had pipes going around the hot water service on an additional circuit to boost heating during winter, worked like a charm.

I'm recently back in Melbourne for good, so starting back up with some bettas and shrimp. Looking thru this wonderful journal, I see that I already have 80% of the materials, just need to repair my sump (cracked during storage :( - but that's eeeasy peasy), my shelving just needs some water proof boards!

It's great to see people sharing such passion for the hobby.

Cheers!

I'm not sure about the name of the fiberglass boards but you can use 16mm or 19mm ply instead & seal it by painting it. :)

The water heater is a cool idea but probably not for shrimp as they require much lower temps.

Make sure you start your own journal when you start building your rack. :encouragement:

wicked thread squiggles I would love to set up a rack but my missus would kill me and I don't have enoff fish /shrimp for one YET.....

Thanks Squiggs, I certainly will start a journal when I go for it. Right now it's about making space to see where to put the darn thing!!

Yeah I'm pretty lucky with the room I have, I hit the jackpot with this house. :encouragement:

• 2 months later...

How much K1 media did you use in this setup Squiggle? How much of the other media's did you use also?

I used 20L cause the section the K1 is in is 60L, to work out how much you generally use 1/3 the volume of the section. In the other mechanical section I have 6L of Marine Pure balls, 6L of matrix, a jap mat layer, thick course foam layer, a filter wool layer & for a little bit extra surface area I have three rolls of gutter guard, but I'm probably going to change that to another 6L of Marine Pure. :D

• 2 months later...

Sadly, all my best laid plans went up in the air when my company decided to close their Australian operations which meant no shrimp cash for the shrimpies. I got my shelving, various tanks which fit, and a 6x2x2ft main display tank, 10 crs as starting stock, and I've had to shelve the shrimp operation before it could get going :(

Will post again when I'm back on top of my finances once I get a new income stream.

Sorry Squiggs, I was planning to make a proud contribution, now I just live in your shadow and through your posts for a while.

btw, some of the early pictures on this thread are not showing up now? could be they were taken offline.

Cheers and keep up the great journal, it keeps me inspired til I can get back on track to do my own shrimp room!

Richie

Thanks dude, spewing that you can't continue, hopefully you get back on track soon. :thumbsu:

• 2 months later...

Fantastic, had an issue which took all of 9mths & all 17 of my brain cells to figure out, :lol: & as usual the damn thing was looking me right in the face, laughing its ass off at me but that has since been rectified & all the shrimp are breeding well again. The rack currently has pandas, king kings, bluebolts, CBS, CRS, mischlings, OEBTs & tibees in it & I'm focusing on a couple of little pet projects to see if I can create something interesting, will definitely keep you guys updated if my ideas come to fruition! :jig:

• Like 1

I went went through the entire thread. One of the sickest racks I've seen to date. Industrial strength rack, rimless tanks, and clean sump setup. Boss level work Squiggle. Mad props!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

any new pics of the boss's shrimp :special:  or is it all in lockdown for new boss product r&d :cold:

• 11 months later...

how soon?