Any one keep Snail

northboy

Hi All

Any one keep Aquatic snails for the sake of keeping Snails ??

I was curious as my Native species list is growing fast and is up to 16 now across various family groups, so I was wondering if there is any other Snail nutz out there.

Most of them will never be a pet species, but there is 5 that can breed easy in Aquariums.

The main groups are

Notopala

Thiara

Neritina

Bob

• HOF Member

I'm an accidental snail keeper. I keep whatever snails come in from other peoples tanks so don't even know what they are. I have been quite fascinated by some of your natives.

Bob ever since I got my first snail from you I've become quite obsessed with them. Unfortunately I've only got two left as the other 3 found a gap in my lid and didn't realize until it was too late.

If you have some more available please let me know, I love the zig zag patterns, if you have some awesome patterns besides the zig zags please keep me in mind

Cheers,

Josh

Snails are awesome, saves me cleaning the glass. I have Malaysian trumpet, 4 types of ramshorn and yellow foot and black foot mystery snails. Always looking for something new, do you have a list of what would breed in aquariums, I would be really keen on buying some.

Cheers mick

I appreciate a good snail!

Which ones are good for glass cleaning? Cos the ones that hitched a ride into my tank and have multiplied profusely arent doing a very good job!!

I have notopala waterhousii and i love them! They're breeding, slowly though, shame they're stuck in a heavy CO2 injection tank.

Love snails in soapy water, garden variety that is, water snails are different. I remember back in the dinosaur days, that we used to have red water snails, they were cool as, for a kid. Anyone else remember them?

i would love to see pictures of what you have found.

Overseas they have some rippers!!!!

I have snails in all my tanks. They are invaluable as part of the micro-ecosystem in my tanks. I got red ramshorns and mystery snails.

Got pond and Malaysian trumpets too but I am trying to get rid of these ones.

Most of the snails I keep are slow or dam hard to breed, so not all are available.

I did find a small Waterhousii type Saturday Notopala Knigi I think it will turn out to be, maxes out at 2.5cm and looks just like the NT waterhousii.

Zeik I still have to send you a few bits and pieces so give me a yell as I have some different things at the moment.

I don't have photos of all of them sorry

Bob

I've still got most of the snails going that I got from you last year Bob, some have done extremely well putting on size and

doing an excellent job in the tanks. Have done better in alkaline than acidic and just great to watch

I love snails! When I was little I used to keep burgundy snails as pets. My mum wasn't impressed. ;)

In my tank I have lots of little bladder snails and some ramshorn snails in brown and yellow.

mushroom.gif

Here is a couple of the photos I do have and I am glad to hear that the ones people already have are doing well, there will be lots more to come, I was just told about a golden body Gertrudae WOW going to see it tomorrow, yea I know not a snail BUT.

snails053.jpg

SNAILLIMPET006.jpg

GESniritina6acopy.jpg

GESniritina4copy.jpg

GESniritina4copy.jpg

GESniritina1acopy.jpg

GESniritina1acopy.jpg

1stSnails015.jpg

Just a couple of what is up here and to get you thinking. I will try to get permission of a photo from WA there is dozens of Neritinas on rock and they look like Zebra neritina.

Bob

• HOF Member

They are really nice I didn't know we had such nice natives then again I didn't know there was such a thing as a dwarf shrimp until last December and look at me now!!!! I've never really given snails a thought although I like to see them in small numbers in my tanks.:encouragement:

Bob, hows the breeding on those? Are they all brackish breeding?

They're beautiful! Is second from the bottom a Notopala or is it another Neritina?

They are all neritinas

yes they need a lid until they settle in.

Breeding is on stop for a bit until I build a lab at the end of the year, so what I have as well as a bit of wild stock collected in the future is it until the Lab is done. I will see if I can attach a photo of Neritina straight out of the egg, taken by a customer in Melbourne.

OH should have added, with the right food and hard enough water they are able to be raised in fresh water!!

Now that opens up a whole new avenue for lots of things like Stiphodon Gobies, Neritina snails and some of the spectacular crabs that live in fresh but need the Brackish for food and hard water

Bob

taken under a scope

BabyNeritinasnails_zps1be4f221.jpg

Dam small

Look like abalone and whelk larvae. Not surprising since they are all gastropods. Almost guarantee i could raise these guys using the techniques we've developed for marine invertebrate larvae,

Can you email me the techniques you use Ben as that will no doubt increase my numbers and what sort of food do you use?

Bob

I love the spikey snails that I got off Bob a while ago, even if they do tend to remain hidden and I find them more by chance than good planning. The long trumpet shelled black snails I got are doing well and seem much happier now they are in a tannin rich tank, with heavy plant life. The two large nerites have been well behaved and stayed in their tank, and just recently they even bred. And last night I noticed that one of the eggs had hatched on the parents shell. There is still two more white egg parcels waiting to hatch attached to the shell. I will have to keep a close eye out for any chance juvi's surviving in the tank, it has fairly hard water with lots of mosses and some timber in the tank. The rilli cherry shrimp are able to remain totally hidden so maybe teeny tiny snail larva might also stand a slight chance.

ninja

The first one I call spiny snail = Thiara amarula

Last one ??? it was the only one of them I have seen and I have been back to the spot a few times

Bob