Sign in to follow this  
CNgo2006

DIY Filter Guard

CNgo2006

Hey Guys,

I came across I great DIY Video so thought I would share how I make my own filter guards...These can be made to fit any size tubing at the fraction of the cost of what is sold and is so very easy to make. So lets get started!

Note: It is recommended that you use protective goggles and gloves, as frayed mesh wires can get pretty sharp.

Here is what you will need to make the filter guard:

*Stainless Steel Mesh sheet hole size #30 (can be purchased at the mesh company online, I got the A3 size sheet which is enough for a lot of guards!)

*Tin snips

*Heat Shrink (depending on the size of your tube get the heat shrink at least 5mm bigger, can be purchased eBay)

*Heat source (Lighter, hair dryer, heat gun, etc)

*A tube of the size required

*Pencil, marker

*Ruler

*Cable ties

*Craft knife

IMAG0165-1.jpg

Steps

Prepare cable ties as you will need both hands free

IMAG0167.jpg

Cut mesh sheet to size depending on how long you want the guard and how thin the tube is (I cut mine 10cmx10cm) and wrap tightly around the tube, secure tightly with cable ties

IMAG0168.jpg

Cut another piece of mesh depending on the width of the mesh wrapped around tube (mine was 18mm), cut a square piece (18x18mm), place on end of mesh and bend corners over

IMAG0174.jpg

Cut a bit of heat shrink (mine was 2cm) and place over the mesh making sure the piece of mesh covering the end stays in place, leave about 0.5cm above.

IMAG0175-1.jpg

Using the heat source you are using (I just used a lighter) and heat the heat shrink until it shrinks tightly around the mesh (make sure you don't heat the same place for too long as it will melt! Just quickly run the flame over the shrink) and then quickly push the end down on a flat surface for a minute.

IMAG0177-1.jpg

The outcome should be something like this (you can use the craft knife to make the opening bigger if you wish)

IMAG0178.jpg

Now for the other end, repeat the steps above but shove the tube in instead. Leave for a minute or so.

IMAG0173.jpg

Remove the tube and cut the cable ties, cut a thin bit of heat shrink to place in middle of guard for extra support, heat it until tight. And there you have it, your DIY filter guard.

IMAG0179-1.jpg

For a fraction of the cost you can make all the filter guards needed, can be HOB, canister, overflow pipe, etc. for your 20 shrimp tanks!:encouragement:

If you like this then please thank or like the post!

Cheers Chi.

• Like 3

torface

This is brilliant, thanks Chi!

Robert

I have one bought that looks identical to that. Good work Chi, saved me some $$ maybe make a few and always have them available to skfer

Squiggle

Awesome write up Chi, so simple & so effective, excellent work dude :encouragement:

CNgo2006

Thanks guys...thought I would share as this can be done by anyone and if like me don't have too much cash lying around have to DIY to save so we can actually buy the shrimp we want! LOL! For the price of one purchased from LFS I can make at least 5 of these!

Cookster

Great informative DIY post.... very easy to follow! :encouragement:

BlueBolts

Well done Chi, well written, and great info ! You've indeed raised the DIY level .......can't wait for your next DIY post ! :applause:

OzShrimp

Great post ty chi :)

Would you mind sharing the people you brought from on ebay please :) Then we will know their reliable :).

I think even if you only have 1 filter running would come in handy to make one of these, if your like me i have moss always getting stuck to my cover and growing on it so would be good to just replace it whilst i clean the other :)

CNgo2006

The mesh is purchased from the mesh company http://www.themeshcompany.com/acatalog/Stainless_Steel_Woven_Wire_A3_Sheets.html they are having a sale buy 2 sheets receive a third free! So get a #30 for the filter guards and a #10 for moss tying and get another 1 of those free, the heat shrink all depends on the size of your filter inlet so it may not be same as mine plus it is only few bucks for a meter, just remember to get it around 5mm bigger than your inlet pipe.

Neo-shrimp

Cheers Chi...Thanks for the informative guide by using good illustrations (step by step)....:)

torface
The mesh is purchased from the mesh company http://www.themeshcompany.com/acatalog/Stainless_Steel_Woven_Wire_A3_Sheets.html they are having a sale buy 2 sheets receive a third free! So get a #30 for the filter guards and a #10 for moss tying and get another 1 of those free' date= the heat shrink all depends on the size of your filter inlet so it may not be same as mine plus it is only few bucks for a meter, just remember to get it around 5mm bigger than your inlet pipe.

I just had issues with the buy 2 get one free thing, so i emailed them and they just said order 2 and they'll just throw in the 3rd. So if anyone else encounters the same problem I did (the cart wont apply the discount) just order 2 and drop them an email :)

Heavyd

Chi, what a great write-up!

The end product looks professionally made. Have you found your new calling?

CNgo2006
I just had issues with the buy 2 get one free thing' date=' so i emailed them and they just said order 2 and they'll just throw in the 3rd. So if anyone else encounters the same problem I did (the cart wont apply the discount) just order 2 and drop them an email :)[/quote']

Thanks for letting us know! I remember I ordered 2 differeent sizes and they just chucked in a 3rd of whichever so if you want a specific #size (as long as the 2 ordered are same price or it will be the cheaper of the 2 that they send free) email them like torface said!

CNgo2006
Chi' date=' what a great write-up!

The end product looks professionally made. Have you found your new calling?[/quote']

LOL! Maybe, maybe. What you talking about Doron everything I make is professional looking! LOL!