Chocolate (blue) X Blue Pearl

Dead Can Dance

Thought yours were blue velvet not blue pearl? Don't know what they'd look like probably yuk like most other crosses lol

Maybe you should try it

BB said they're technically not blue velvets' date=' from memory.[/quote']

Don't think I said that....I haven't seen/heard of Blue Pearls in Aust. You've probably got the Blue Velvet (or Blue Rilli as it is often referred to). If you blue velvets shrimplets have some signed of red caps/tails...etc...then they're definitely blue velvets, derived from red rill blue body.

Never ever sure with crossed, but as the Blue Velvet's have the "rill" genetics, best possibility will be choc rill, or a variation that's beyond our imagination ? The more hobbyist trying for different variants the better ...

• HOF Member

So BB I have only a few chocolates and a few yellows but lots of red and blue rillis would it be OK for me to try and cross them with the rillis or am I just going to end up with wild variants. I have a hankering to take some male yellow and chocolate and put with female rillis. Is it worth a try?

Really depends on the dominant genes, it could literally be anything from pale brown tiger/wild cherry through to a reinforced blue. Give

it a try and see what happens, thats your best option. It really depends as to whether the blues are on the same gene, it'll be an

interesting cross to carry out regardless.

I believe blue pearls are Neo zhangjiajiensis and they're nowhere near as nice as the blue velvets IMO :)

• HOF Member

Thanks BigD I guess the worst that can happen is a lot of culls. I might give it a try:encouragement:

In regards to the 'Rilli' gene I'm pretty confident you'll find it across all of the cherry shrimp in Australia. 3 years ago Rilli's weren't

common however occassionally we saw the standard Red Head/White Body Rilli come up, I know I brought one for $50 back then

and was told I was paying stupid money LOL But that had come from a Red Male x Red Female which implies the gene was there,

just dormant.

So whilst we're calling a lot of blues 'Blue Rillis' for my own Blues the head/body is a constantly blue, there is no seperation of

head vs body, have even cross back to a standard red to test with no red/blue body/head shrimplets caming through in any of

the batches. From my perspective that would indicated the 'Rilli' gene is recessive and not dominant but more testing would need

to be done but unfortunately I don't have the tank space to keep this going.

I agree, for me a blue rilli is blue head with clear body. What we currently call a blue rilli to me is a blue cherry cull. But that's just me. :)

Dominant or ressesive, the genetic possibilities are there...so why not ineke, part of the intrigue !

Nogi - yes, we do need to make that distinct definition of "rill".... http://www.shrimpkeepersforum.com/forum/showthread.php/1297-Classification-of-Blue-Cherry-vs-Blue-Rillis-vs-Blue-Jelly-Velvet?highlight=blue+velvet

• HOF Member

I am going to try a few different crosses with rilli and other colours just for the intrigue as you say BB. I think once my numbers increase and I get a few spare females I will just do it and see what happens. :encouragement: