POSSIBLE natural treatment for Hydra ???

northboy

Hi All

I was just out water changing a tank that has Moss and Caridina sp Malanda creek in it, there has been a build up of Hydra for a while on one end of the tank, to the density of 20 in a area the size of a 50c piece, last week I put a Neritina snail in it and when I was water changing today I noticed that there was less Hydra!!!

Where the snail had not eaten Algae the Hydra were still thick and where the snail had eaten the Algae there was one in about 10cm square?? or less. It is some thing I will keep an eye one.

Unfortunately I have not sent this particular snail to any one so I can see if any one has had the same result

This is not the Snail but it look a little like this

GESniritina1acopy.jpg

Bob

PS will keep a data log on it and grab some photos.

Very cool dude, looming forward to seeing the results in the future :encouragement:

It wouldn't surprise me if the nerite ate or at least interrupted the hydra. I am sure my rams horn snails eat hydra. Also after adding the long black snails you sent me and the small spikey snails to my native tank that had a hydra infestation the pests seem to have all gone. I know I got what I could with a syphon and the spotted blue eyes may or may not have eaten some of the rest of the hydra, but I am almost certain there are now no hydra left in that particular tank. Much to the relief I am sure of the blackmore shrimp that are doing really well and producing offspring.

That's a really nice Nerite there, when you have a few to sell would be really keen. The various ones I got from you last year have done really well, great little guys to watch and do an excellent job. Can't recommend them highly enough

Got to agree, love the Spiky ones, brilliant to watch them turning over the substrate

KD I am glad you are a snail NUTTER LOL and they are still going strong, now I have to convert you to crabs.

I don't have any of those snails at the moment, possibly in a couple of weeks time.

Are your spikes getting there colour, green and red??

Bob

• HOF Member

You know Bob you are making the snails sound so interesting I've almost completely forgotten about your crabs.

He really has to take it easy trying to give everyone crabs, I think it's becoming a problem for him, lol :smiley_simmons:

Knowing how crabs usually pick at things I wonder if they would also nibble at hydra? Could be worth a shot.