Nano shrimp tank - Mischlings and TBs

Sprae

Thanks guys!

BB - I'm getting a number of good quality SS shrimplets lately. Wish I could keep TBs but I'm focused on CRS in this nano ;)

Trav - Java, Xmas, Peacock, US Fissidens, Süßwassertang, Willow, Bushy all in this tank alone. Looking to add flame, Sydney fissiden and rose moss but I can't fit them in!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sprae

• BlueBolts

• Squiggle

• durro68

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, that's some collection in that nano:)

What's the one that looks similar to java? My java just grows straight up.

What's the one that looks similar to java? My java just grows straight up.

That's bushy moss. My java moss grows in every direction.

• 1 month later...

How do you find the lighting in the fluval edge? I've just bought a 43L led model for my gf and want to do all mods before we set up.

Depends on the model, the later model comes with LED lights. The edge I have was the initial model with the halogen lights, which wasn't very good....as a shrimp tank, perhaps sufficient, but not a planted tank. The LED version is heaps better, but really depends on the plants you're intending to grow etc...

My advise with the edge is to keep it simple. Due to it being a nano, and accessibility due to the design means there's places where it's not easily accessible. I use a external cannister filter too, due to the number of shrimps I have I there. Again. If you keep it simple and maintain a small colony of shrimps, the hang on filter maybe enough...

Thanks bluebolts.

You can increase water flow by putting the impeller from the aquaclear 50 or 70 in it but I think canister probs better.

• 3 weeks later...

@magikarp - Add another filter will help for sure. As for lighting, I'll add more LED panels like I've done to sit atop of the glass if you're looking to have a planted tank.

Quick update - No deaths for 4 days! :encouragement:

Here's hoping survival trend continues. I did another WC last weekend, cleaned my 2213 and added fulvic grains to lower pH. Working well as it's now back to 6.0-6.2 range.

That's great Sprae.....keen to see an updated pic of your tank ? What was your conclusion for the deaths ?

BB - I still think it's bacterial. UV Sterilizer helps after 3 weeks but to an extend as infected shrimps have died anyway. So I'm hoping the UV has stop the deaths and current ones will survive and thrive.

One SSS death in a week is progress for me. Also have a new batch of shrimplets, which I hope will survive.

Might be finally on the road to recovery. :encouragement:

Great news on the shrimplets... that'll be a good test to see whether the tank is back to it's best....the SSS maybe harbouring the ill effects of the bacteria issue you had etc.. :encouragement:

Just read through the thread! Can't believe how much the moss grew from first pic to the pic in middle of the thread.

In relation to your deaths, I had a similar problem happen. My female cherries would die after moulting or when freshly berried. After trying multiple things I added a air pump (obviously won't work for the edge) but the extra water turnover has seemed to help.

• 8 months later...

As some of you may know, earlier this year I had all my shrimps wiped out due to a bacterial outbreak. It's still sad thinking about it. :crushed:

I have since reset the tank in June. I took all of what I've learnt from everyone here and kept it minimal, and with Dean's help on a good batch of mischlings I started to shrimpkeeping again.

Here's the early tank photo in June;

post-346-139909855466_thumb.jpg

In July

post-346-139909855461_thumb.jpg

The tank today

post-346-139909855457_thumb.jpg

post-346-139909855469_thumb.jpg

post-346-139909855472_thumb.jpg

After 4 to 5 drops of shrimplets in the past 2 months, I was happy my nano tank is breeding again!

But the last drop from last week gave me these

post-346-139909855451_thumb.jpg post-346-139909855454_thumb.jpg

My first TBs!!! :triumphant:

At this stage, I have 3 TBs that I could see but let's hope for more to come.

I would like to immensely thank Dean for getting me back into shrimp keeping again. :encouragement:

Sorry I haven't been posting much on SKF either, but I have been lurking! Let me know what you think of my latest set up as I'm still learning!

post-9-139909854057_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854062_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854065_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854068_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854073_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854078_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854081_thumb.jpg

post-9-139909854086_thumb.jpg

Awesome stuff dude, it's really good to see you getting back on the horse! Now you've got some TB's you'll get a whole new level of addiction to these tiny critters. :victorious:

Awesome news Sprae ! Tank looks great, and the minimal approach is definitely the way to go. Really pleased with your new found success, and seeing those TBMM's, must have given you a huge smile ! Congrats again !

Great work and big congrats on the new tbs. tanks looking great!!

Well done mate! Great to get TBs going! I know the feeling.

Thanks for the support guys. Almost called it quits after the total lost.

Love these little shrimps too much!

BTW, what should I do as my next steps now that TBs are appearing?

BTW' date=' what should I do as my next steps now that TBs are appearing?[/quote']

These are TBMM's, so I'd start securing the TB gene's and focus towards TB's... plus, I don't see a BB in there ...tsk tsk.. LOL

If you're staying with 1 tank you want to cull the male mischlings (I guess once your TB are sexually mature) and eventually cull the female mischlings as well once total TB numbers are up. Then cull any mischings that appear - as your TB will prob not be breeding true yet.

These are TBMM's' date=' so I'd start securing the TB gene's and focus towards TB's... plus, I don't see a BB in there ...tsk tsk.. LOL[/quote']

HAHA classic ... but true! And where would he get some nice BBs from ....

HAHA classic ... but true! And where would he get some nice BBs from ....

Hmmm, definitely an interesting question, lol :encouragement:

These are TBMM's' date=' so I'd start securing the TB gene's and focus towards TB's... plus, I don't see a BB in there ...tsk tsk.. LOL[/quote']

LOL BB! I think I need to get me some BBs, you know where I can get some? :stupid: