Nano shrimp tank - Mischlings and TBs

Sprae

Nice pics! Are you planning on getting the flash too?

Already have one, just didn't set it up with off-cam triggers and tripods. Maybe when I have some time this weekend ;)

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sprae

• BlueBolts

• Squiggle

• durro68

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice pics and the white on those shrimp looks very solid! goodwork:triumphant:

Those photos are awesome, Sprae :D What lens did you use?

Hope you haven't had any more deaths lately, and it would be cool to see some photos of your shrimplets taken with your new camera equipment :P

Thanks guys. The lens is the Canon 100mm f2.8L macro. I'll really need to trial the whole flash and tripod set up with the extension tubes to get those shrimplets.

hey sprae from your description it seems more like old age to me. 3-4 batches of eggs would mean the female is way past a year old. also, what's your EC range? even though my tds was at 136 at one stage, my ec was over 300 which was over the limit and my shrimps didn't do very well. hope that helps

I'd agree Gbang. Most of those death are old age but some others can be a few things.

My EC is way over 300... Around 336 after a WC last weekend. It was 366 before hand. I'm bring it down slowly though over the coming months and removing mineral rocks or benibachi balls.

Hi Sprae, just re-read your entire thread, great tank and landscape....I've not tested for EC. How do you reduce EC without reducing TDS ? Great job !

Hey BB, as far as I know you can't lower TDS or EC without lowering the other. The TDS value is worked out from the EC value. There are different ratios when it comes to working this out, a good EC/TDS tester will allow you change the ratio which will give you a different TDS value. Also different testers use different ratios so a value of 150TDS on your tester might be 190TDS with a different tester.

I believe it is this reason that we are moving more towards the EC value rather than TDS.

So far, from what I can tell in my tank, every 30us EC I remove it lowers TDS by 10ppm. At 330us/166ppm (EC/TDS), I'll slowly lower to approx. 200us/110ppm.

Meaning it's going to take at least 5 WC over the next 4 months. As I've learnt from this hobby, patience is golden.

• 1 month later...

Some couple of pic I took today;

Most of my moss needs a good trim...

_MG_5364.jpg

All my juvenile CBS are born and bred in this tank.

_MG_5365.jpg

lol That's some over grown Moss right there!

Love your tank & your work! Glad you decided to stick with shimp!

Tis awesome having another nano tank shrimp keeper around :D

Haha....Nice tank, Looks like the moss are all growing well Sprae!

With the algae on the glass i sometimes throw in one baby bristlenose and within the week he eats all the algae on the glass.

Cheers guys. I'm planning to do some heavy trimming next weekend ;)

I actually like to keep the side and back panels with algae as my shrimps like to eat them, especially the shrimplets. It doesn't take much to clean a nano tank this size, as it takes me 1 minute to clean the front panel once a month.

looks great sprae, the shrimp would love hiding in all that moss.

that has grown so much mate, love it now. the shrimp would be very happy with the overgrown look. i would just go easy on the trimming as the more moss the better for the shrimp and shrimplets :)

Thanks Lachie and Dean. I'm still learning from everyone here but loving both shrimp and moss.

Fair point about not over trimming the moss as I've got shrimplets coming in regularity. I've also notice more and more shrimplets are in better quality too. :)

I've been silly and haven't done a full test of the tank water after the new setup.

Here's the lowdown;

pH = 6.9 :(

EC = 320us

TDS = 160ppm

Ammonia/Nitrate/Nitrite = 0

GH = 6

KH = 2

Temp = 22-24c

I'm shocked the new system has such a large increase of pH so close to 7. That's at least an increase of 0.7 difference when I tested last week at 6.2. I think it's the new media which may need to stabilise a bit and let the soil slowly buffer it back down.

Also all my top ups are 5.8-6.0 pH, which will slowly lower it. If nothing else, adding small amounts of Benibachi fulvic grains once every week may do the job.

But the main thing is there's no deaths and all shrimps are active, molting, eating and looks happy. Shrimplets are doing dandy too as I see the new batch from the past few days doing ok.

can never have too much moss!!!

Thanks Benny!

Just checking if others can see the video I tried to embed this morning. I can't see it at work.

https://vimeo.com/52380381

Thanks for the vid..very nice...very nice shrimps too.....didn't notice any TB lurking in the mosses though ...LOL.