Sign in to follow this  
ineke

replacing test solutions

ineke

Hi All I have an API master freshwater test kit and my nitrate and ammonia testers are nearly out . Can you buy the replacements easily or is it just as cheap to buy a whole new kit?

torface

Depends if your others are nearly out too... You can buy them individually, about $12-15 each i think.

ineke

Just checked it out Torface Thanks.Looks like about $17 including postage and I need both so thats $34 and I can get the full kit for $36 with free postage so I guess it's better value to get the kit because the others will need replacing down the track too. OK thanks

JohnH

Do these things have use by dates? I was reading a debate about this somewhere a while back but I think it was 50/50 on if they do or not.

ineke

The kits do have use by dates and buying the master kit instead of just replacing the solution will mean eventually I will have double up's that I may not be able to use but I can always offer them to someone on the forum. I got this kit in January and the ammonia and nitrate uses 2 bottles for each test and double the drops of the other tests so will always run out of them first. Use by dates are just a guide but it probably isn't a good idea to go too far over the date.

Squiggle

I know the Aquasonic test kits don't have a used by date, I've had my ph, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate test kits for about 10yrs(got three of each them) :encouragement:

ineke

I must have been doing an awful lot more testing than was necessary then if mine went that quick

Squiggle

Nah, I think it's just that shrimp are different to fish, I hardly ever check the levels on the fish, done more testing on my shrimp tanks in the last six months than I have on my fish tanks in the last six years :encouragement:

ineke

Now my tanks are almost all fully cycled and stable I'm only testing fortnightly but I was testing every 2 or 3 days for a while. Also I sort of know what unusual behaviours are and will test then too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Must Read SKF Articles

• Join Our Community!

Register today, ask questions and share your shrimp and fish tank experiences with us!

• Steensj2004
      Update.   Manual removal has stopped, seems to be under control. Light has been lowered on day cycle to try to combat over lighting. Baby shrimp are showing up more frequently now as I gander around the tank . I’ve received the lid kit and will be assembling that and doing a water change tonight.   In other news, I’ve ordered some Black and red crystals to bolster population of reds, and add some blacks. The fish are for a friend’s tank( we like to combine orders to save a few dollars). He offered me half of the emeralds, but I think I’ll steer clear anyway, I’m sure they would eat baby shrimps, even as small as they are. Maybe I’ll take him up on the offer once my colony is booming, as he’s putting them in a designated breeding tank.  
    • sdlTBfanUK
      Hope it all works as you want it too so you can get everything settled with the tanks at last so that you can build your collection! Simon 
    • kms
      I've just received my Hailea HC130A today, I can  confirm the HC130a does have a PC type ball bearing fan shown below. I have also put a external temperature probe, only took less than a minute to do, it is connected with a SM2.54 connector which is readly available, the probe house the male side of the socket. there are two notch at the front bottom of the chiller that you can lead the probe cable out of the chiller, so no drilling of any sort needs to be done.   My unit was a little scratched at one side and near the panel, the scratch was expected for product coming from china, the radiator fins at some part was a little pushed in and bent, but I put then right so all is good. The chiller came with 4 hose connector, but are all same size, I think it should come with two size, but i'm alright with that.   I haven't full tested it yet as the chiller was sent to my work place, apparently the water pump I had at work was too weak to move the water, so I have to test it at home, the probe is working fine.   Thanks JayC and sdlTBfanUK  for all your advice.  
    • jayc
      This is where the TDS meter will come in handy and make things easy. (And part of the reason we recommend shrimp keepers get one). With a TDS meter you just add enough of the dissolved mix into the tank (or water change) until it reaches 150TDS as measured with the TDS meter. Without a TDS meter, just follow the instructions and dosage below: Instructions of use Mix with water outside of the aquarium. Shrimp Mineral dissolves almost completely within seconds, and the water is ready for use at once. Please make sure that any undissolved particles go into your tank, too. Close container after every use at once as this mineral salt absorbs moisture. Dosage Use Shrimp Mineral to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 300 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 2 g) to 10 litres (2.2Gallon) of water is sufficient. While not as accurate without a TDS meter, it will get close. You can always adjust the TDS reading after you get your TDS meter.   Weekly water changes of 10% as per normal, with the new water adjusted to 150 TDS with SS GH/KH+. If it is particularly hot and you notice the water level of the tank dropping, you top off with pure RO or Distilled water, no remineralising needed. In summary, Water Change = Add SS GH/KH+. Top Off = straight distilled.  
    • Razzy
      I have a 20 gallon long, I'm trying to figure out how many scoops of gh/kh+ to use and how to test it.  I'm buying distilled water since my tap sucks. What is the dosage for the powder? And do I just measure to get something close to what cherry shrimp parameters are suggested? How do I do water changes with the minerals? Or is just top offs what I should do? Just straight distilled or add some salty?