replacing test solutions

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi All I have an API master freshwater test kit and my nitrate and ammonia testers are nearly out . Can you buy the replacements easily or is it just as cheap to buy a whole new kit?

Depends if your others are nearly out too... You can buy them individually, about $12-15 each i think.

• HOF Member

Just checked it out Torface Thanks.Looks like about $17 including postage and I need both so thats $34 and I can get the full kit for $36 with free postage so I guess it's better value to get the kit because the others will need replacing down the track too. OK thanks

Do these things have use by dates? I was reading a debate about this somewhere a while back but I think it was 50/50 on if they do or not.

• HOF Member

The kits do have use by dates and buying the master kit instead of just replacing the solution will mean eventually I will have double up's that I may not be able to use but I can always offer them to someone on the forum. I got this kit in January and the ammonia and nitrate uses 2 bottles for each test and double the drops of the other tests so will always run out of them first. Use by dates are just a guide but it probably isn't a good idea to go too far over the date.

I know the Aquasonic test kits don't have a used by date, I've had my ph, ammonia, nitrite & nitrate test kits for about 10yrs(got three of each them) :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I must have been doing an awful lot more testing than was necessary then if mine went that quick

Nah, I think it's just that shrimp are different to fish, I hardly ever check the levels on the fish, done more testing on my shrimp tanks in the last six months than I have on my fish tanks in the last six years :encouragement:

• HOF Member

Now my tanks are almost all fully cycled and stable I'm only testing fortnightly but I was testing every 2 or 3 days for a while. Also I sort of know what unusual behaviours are and will test then too.