My First Aquascape

Cookster

No need for appologies BB ... was just saving a bit of typing.. lol .. It makes sense that T5s would be better penetrating source because it is more diffuse (if that is the correct way to term it)

I am hoping my design is adequate with spread and penetration.. (it should be, tank is only 360mm deep) ... Main lights are 45 degree beam angle and smaller ones are normal 10mm round super brights

(so not so direct in their point source characteristics) .. fingers crossed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cookster

• torface

• Squiggle

• ineke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds great, and well thought out....great work. I must say though that the new LED technology, have much better penetration and would probably be equally as good ?

LEDs technology is progressing very fast ... New cree LED lights are looking very tempting indeed... and they now come with "click-fit" cabling making it very easy to put a grid together, and price is very reasonable too .. (always a bonus)

I originally had an up aqua z series led but changed over to the floodlights about a month ago because I wanted to use the hood. The problem, that I didn't realise when I bought this tank, is that it's an awkward length (I think 78cm) and I have not been able to find a light that fits. :(

Sounds like you need a custom built LED setup torface ;) hehe

As soon as I find the time... maybe tomorrow ... I will hang my DIY LED above the tank and begin trials....

Update pics

Took a few pics this morning ... enjoy

post-1840-139909851024_thumb.jpgpost-1452-139909851029_thumb.jpg

post-1452-139909861384_thumb.jpgpost-1452-139909861386_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849865_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849867_thumb.jpg

post-2255-13990984987_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849873_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849876_thumb.jpg

What's the plant in the first photo at the front in the middle? Is it rotala green?

looks amazing, so jealous!

• HOF Member

Cookster I really wish you wouldn't show your lovely tank- no just kidding it looks so good can't believe you haven't been doing it for years. I still find it very hard to get nice plants in SA .

Very nice work dude, looks so stunning & still amazes me, well done :encouragement:

Thanks torface ... I think you are looking at the HM ... if not,to the left of HM is a group of Javas including windelov and needle. There is also some Bolbitis there too. The purple one at the back is Limnophila aromatica.

Cookster I really wish you wouldn't show your lovely tank- no just kidding it looks so good can't believe you haven't been doing it for years. I still find it very hard to get nice plants in SA .

I find it hard to believe it has turned out so well myself... Good luck and lots of research I think was the key ... and yes it was hugely frustrating trying to find plants in SA.

I eventually gave up looking and bought all these from Liverpool Aquarium in QLD . online... and a few came from Jag at JAL.

Very nice work dude' date=' looks so stunning & still amazes me, well done :encouragement:[/quote']

Cheers mate ... its due for trim again already ... the ruddy HM is relentless .. lol

Unbelievable aquascaping Cookster ....You definitively have a great flair for it...Thanks for sharing the great photos & greatly appreciate your insights :-)

Thanks Neo ... much appreciated. It has been an enjoyable learning process, so glad I decided to give it a go :)

Love it....the contrast and structure of the plants and colours are amazing....well done again mate ! Bet you're itching for another tank to aquascape now !

Finally hung the new DIY LED fixture today, and very happy with how it lights the tank.

Now time will tell if it will grow my plants.

post-12-139909861462_thumb.jpg

post-12-139909861464_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849987_thumb.jpg

post-2255-139909849989_thumb.jpg

Love it....the contrast and structure of the plants and colours are amazing....well done again mate ! Bet you're itching for another tank to aquascape now !

Thanks BB ... I had a picture in my mind when I selected the plants ... I must say it has turned out better than the vision ever looked haha.

Amazing' date=' and you researched and built everything by your self!

Damn sparkies- so smart![/quote']

haha Jonny ... only smart with some things mate... but with a decent amount of research anything is possible ;)

Nice setup you have there cook!

Cheers al4n :)

I saw you posted these piccies on facebook. Simply amazing! Very impressed! :)