Possible Shrimp Nuking

OzShrimp

Welllllllll courteous of our lovely dog we think we might be starting to get fleas inside the house as we are getting bitten so may have to flea bomb the house especially since our 2 year old is copping it aswell.

So here lies the question. If i cling wrap the top of my tank and turn off my air pumps is there any chance of survival?

Last time i used a bomb for cockroaches i had no measures as the tank was in another room and i lost all my CRS. Worst part is if fleas get worst and i cant find another product for inside use this may be the only viable option to be done for sake of family health and well being.

This is worst case scenario and i hope it doesnt have to occur as if all the shrimp die i will be on hiatus for another 2years and 9 months before i start again :)

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

:crushed:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OzShrimp

• ineke

• Squiggle

• 2OFUS

Lots of cling wrap ,sheets and damp towels if u have to bomb the place

I recommend trying flea powder first still cover the tank with either choice

• HOF Member

Oz can you catch your shrimp and put them in an esky or other container with an airstone. Empty the tank but save the water it may sound like a lot of work but you are supposed to close the house for at least 2 hours if not longer before it is safe to come back. That is safe for people but not necessarily for shrimp and fish. Also the product is fine and made to get into all small areas.

Wow the coincidence here is crazy, doctrdan just had this same issue and I warned him about it. He said the same thing about the glad wrap and drop sheets etc but it seems he has massacred his shrimp.... Current count at 50+ dead.

Wow the coincidence here is crazy' date=' doctrdan just had this same issue and I warned him about it. He said the same thing about the glad wrap and drop sheets etc but it seems he has massacred his shrimp.... Current count at 50+ dead.[/quote']

i dont even have that much shrimp lol

Why don't you treat your dog for fleas? Fleas prefer dogs so what must it be going through?

i have always had dogs and never had a problem because every month they get treated with Sentinal.

our dog has been treated and always has been treated but we changed products but thats in the other pets related forum. Fleas also do bite humans and our blood is enough for them to live on aswell.

unfortunately treating her wont kill the stray ones which have managed to get inside

• HOF Member

Also you only need 1 or 2 and suddenly they are breeding in your carpets, furniture and any crevice they can get into. That's why the flea bombs work so well they are very fine mist that's creeps into everything.

Yep this was dans issue they treated the dog no probs but there were still a few that got inside you can't get.

i read about stuff called Diatomaceous Earth which i am hoping i might be able to buy from local farm place, food grade quality which sprinkle on the carpet and it dehydrates them when it comes into contact with them

• HOF Member

Years ago we were given a lovely old lounge that we were going to recover. We put it in the spare bedroom and every time I went in there I was getting bitten. We discovered fleas on it. Prior to us getting it the other family had cats that slept on it. We had to bomb the room and there were no hosts for the fleas to live on . They can live off animals for sometime.

• HOF Member
i read about stuff called Diatomaceous Earth which i am hoping i might be able to buy from local farm place' date= food grade quality which sprinkle on the carpet and it dehydrates them when it comes into contact with them

That's the problem Oz it needs to come in contact with them and you only need a few left over for the fleas to start breeding again. Some bombs will kill the eggs as well others you need to repeat the treatment.the powder and flea powders only work if the outbreak is isolated.

well i got tomorrow to get some more ideas as i will be at work all day and unable to do anything about it until wednesday anyway..... i am really hoping i can avoid the bombs. Mortein works well but i cant exactly spray the whole carpet.

That's the problem Oz it needs to come in contact with them and you only need a few left over for the fleas to start breeding again. Some bombs will kill the eggs as well others you need to repeat the treatment.the powder and flea powders only work if the outbreak is isolated.

wow deja vu i had a dream about this convo and that comment....freaky

If it was me I would empty my tanks with a little water in the bottom, shrimp in a esky with sponge filter, whole lot out of the house while you set the bombs off. Good luck with it all.

Hi oz, try using a mix of a little eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil and water in a spray bottle. It doesnt kill fleas but they cant stand it and move out so to speak. After nearly a month of rain in brissie the yard and then the house had an explosion of fleas, I just sprayed this around the floor and lounges every arvo for three days and they were gone. Pet and kiddie safe.

Cheers mick

A few years ago the house my boyfriend and I were living in was infested with fleas very very badly. I bought the flea spray from woolies or coles (Im sorry I cant remember the name of it but its in a red, white and black bottle). Its made for the interior of your house. Its fairly cheap but depending on the size of your house you may need a few bottles.

If you decide to get it, spray it everywhere where the fleas can live. And FYI they can live under your bedsheets ontop of your mattress. I learnt that the hard way! And unless your shrimp tanks are on the floor they should be fine, but I would still cover them with a sheet. Its worth thinking about another option :)

• HOF Member

Oz I know the bombs are harsh but if you have young children then they have soft toys etc, unless you have a freezer big enough to put them in or unless you can wash them in really hot water chances are you will miss eggs and will have to go through it all again. Better to do it and do it properly. Also wash all the dogs bedding or spread it where the bomb can get to it and then air it outside. It is not always the dog that is the cause they are just the unfortunate victim. If the kids have any sand boxes the fleas can be in there if you have cats coming into your yard. Or you could have brought something home with a few fleas on it. Make sure you do it the right way first time even if it is a bit hard. Also remember to worm your dog after you get rid of the fleas.

Nearly forgot try to avoid diatomaceous earth. Its a very fine dust thats like asbestos when it gets in your lungs and trust me it will.

Cheers mick

Wow this is full on! I really hope this all goes well for you & I pray I never have to make this decision, good luck with it Ozzie :dejection:

• HOF Member

My dogs don't have fleas but it is so easy to bring them home. Tai had major eye surgery last year and came home from the vets scratching. i found 1 flea on him and he developed a skin condition/allergy which still comes out every now and then. I used a flea product after washing him and washed his bedding but luckily because I know my dog I picked it up within an hour of coming home. It's very easy to bring them home.

OMG this is a very hard situation :( what if people had heaps of tanks? That would be a huuuuge problem :( I was gonna say carbon might help?

If bombing the house is absolutely necesary, why not take the airstone out and get a sochting oxydator (I have no idea how they are spelt lol) and put one of those in the tank. Ive never used one, but they should work? Then just cover as you were planning to?

I'm getting sooo frustrated on those damn fleas just reading this thread ! Good luck !