changed my cube

ineke

• HOF Member

you have all heard me complaining that I can't see my shrimp because the tank is too dark. I thought it time to get off my butt and did something about it. I have added a feeding area of white gravel to the front of mu cube and slanted the dark gravel up to the back. When I fed the shrimp earlier they came down and for the first time since I got them i saw all of my chocolates. I like the effect, how long the white will stay white is another story but it will be easy enough to add a little layer of white to the top.post-538-139909850733_thumb.jpgpost-538-139909850738_thumb.jpgpost-12-13990986128_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859941_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859946_thumb.jpg

post-1377-139909859951_thumb.jpg

Wow Ineke, that looks stunning & a great idea too, as I've said before, out of necessity comes invention, well done! :victorious:

Nice work Ineke, very tidy and clean looking cube... May I ask what are the dimensions?

• HOF Member

The cube is an aqua one nano 30 it is 30x30 x30 but has a built in sump which makes the usable area 24x30x30. It has about 27 litres give or take a litre . I have 2 and love them but the sump issue with shrimp climbing into the sump a problem.

• HOF Member
You have been busy today. Those Choc cherries will really stand out on the white

Yes John they stand out very nicely. Just a shame I can't take a good photo.

Lol, you're not the only one. 98% of the photos I take look like poo. The 2% that look OK are normally mistakes.

• HOF Member

Another good thing this morning I added the white gravel and closed down my original crystal tank to transfer all the goodies in to my new tank. That means the yellows that were in the crystal tank had to be moved as well. they have been elusive little beggars since I have had them but this morning the boys are happily munching away out on the white gravel. Go figure you would think they wouldn't like the bright gravel but they are looking quite good and their colour has improved the WP is more suited to them but when they were in the same WP before it made no difference. Anyway good stuff all round this morning for me! Have a great day!! I will!!!

Awesome work Ineke, can't wait to see pics of little yellow shrimplets running around!:victorious:

• HOF Member

At the moment I'm just happy seeing my yellow adults never mind the babies -trouble is they can't stay in that tank as they are in with the chocolates so need to be moved quickly but will give them the same sort of set up and WP so should be ok. Just a shame that they have settled so well in that tank. Could move the chocolates I suppose but they have been in that tank for only a short while and had a big change from Dean's tanks to mine.

That could end up being very cool, imagine if they bred & you got Bumble Bee shrimp, black & yellow stripes, or maybe yellow carbon rilli pattern, now they would be some seriously cool looking shrimp :victorious:

• HOF Member

Oh don't put those ideas in my head- I have already thought of picking out a few rillis to put in with the yellows because I have a lot of them and it seems a waste to give a tank to just 5 yellows! MMM bumble bee shrimp black and yellow mmm.

Looking good

be careful arranging tanks with Crs in them as they are sensitive and need stability

cherrys can handle fluctuations but Crs will drop dead on u

Best thing to do is setup their tank exactly how u want it and never touch the again :)

Hi Ineke,

The tank looks great! I just wanted to mention, that the white gravel may in fact buffer the pH and gH up, so just keep an eye on it. I think a lot of the white gravels are marble or something similar.

• HOF Member
Looking good

be careful arranging tanks with Crs in them as they are sensitive and need stability

cherrys can handle fluctuations but Crs will drop dead on u

Best thing to do is setup their tank exactly how u want it and never touch the again :)

Thanks for that I actually put them in that tank after it had been rearranged and had used a little power filter in it first.The tank that I have set up now for CRS will only have a plant or a tile of clean moss added now and then so will try very hard to leave it alone. Actually unless I'm having to catch shrimp I don't do too much rearranging just use that time to make any changes. Thanks for the heads up though .

• HOF Member
Hi Ineke' date='

The tank looks great! I just wanted to mention, that the white gravel may in fact buffer the pH and gH up, so just keep an eye on it. I think a lot of the white gravels are marble or something similar.[/quote']

Oh didn't think of that I do fortnightly checks on all WP so if there is a big swing I will have to take it out. It will be in a week by the time I check it again but if I notice any changes in the shrimp behaviour will test straight away. I hope it is OK as it brightens that tank up so much. I want to do it to my other cube as well but will wait and see what happens to that tank first. The shrimp seem to be intrigued by it they are constantly checking it out!!

• HOF Member

I must say though I don't seem to get away from the fish tank look haven't quite progressed to a shrimp tank look my new tank is the closest but still not a lot of moss happening.

• HOF Member

Gee Squiggle you talk to yourself a lot!!! AND I'm watching you creep up:D

• HOF Member

Squiggle I think we have scared everyone away it seems we are the only ones talking now. Better hush for a while:angel:

Oh didn't think of that I do fortnightly checks on all WP so if there is a big swing I will have to take it out. It will be in a week by the time I check it again but if I notice any changes in the shrimp behaviour will test straight away. I hope it is OK as it brightens that tank up so much. I want to do it to my other cube as well but will wait and see what happens to that tank first. The shrimp seem to be intrigued by it they are constantly checking it out!!

If there's a problem with the sand, you can always use silica sand :)

It seems to be like that most week days, lol :encouragement: I guess everyone else has real jobs, not like me, hahaha :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thanks Torface these are white gravel for fish tanks and I gave no thought to them buffering the water. If there is a difference when I test I will get some sand because that bit of white makes it so much easier for me to see. I do need new glasses but I don't think they will make that much difference. I have this thing now too that I like the look of the bigger stones in the tanks- they haven't affected the water but I do like the effect of them. Guess all my tanks will have them now

• HOF Member
It seems to be like that most week days' date=' lol :encouragement: I guess everyone else has real jobs, not like me, hahaha :victorious:[/quote']

Looks like it Squiggle some are not as lucky as us!!!!:triumphant: