Dead Shrimp :(

Dead Can Dance

Hiyas,

I was just looking in the tank and I noticed a dead cherry shrimp at the bottom. :(

I took him out and tested all the water.

7.6 PH

0 Nitrates

0 Ammonia

0 Nitrites

4 GH

Temp 23/24

Oh, I did do a 5% water change yesterday with RO water.

I am also noticing that the blue pearls are looking less blue & more clear... could this be the cause of the problem ?

Any help is appreciated.

Your WP does seam OK, but cherries would prefer a higher GH. What's your TDS ? Are you using slaty shrimp or other products to reminerlaise your water ? Are you using any tap water ?

Your GH needs to be at least 6 for cherries to thrive!!! I age my tap water and add Sulawesi minerals untill it is a minimum of 150 TDS or 275ec. Really helps with moulting. Hope this helps

Pure RO. I don't have a tds pen to measure (being shipped).No tap water, I had been until I got my RO unit.I have bee shrimp ready to use when my tds meter arrives.What should I do, WC with tap water to add gh to their water ?

Your WP does seam OK, but cherries would prefer a higher GH. What's your TDS ? Are you using slaty shrimp or other products to reminerlaise your water ? Are you using any tap water ?

Difficult without knowing your TDS, but if you're only using RO water, then your water may lack minerals. I would just add a little salty mix, depending on the volume of your tank.....just to get some mineral in it, until your TDS meter arrives.

I only have a 28L tank. Should I sprinkle a small amount in ?

Or add some salt to RO water and add it that way ?

Thanks BB.

I am all worried about the others. I hope it doesn't stress the berried cherry too much.

Firstly, I wouldnt panic too much just yet - shrimp can die just like anything else. Definitely keep an eye on the tank and remineralise your RO. Your WP look fine, like the others said.

I had three shrimp keel over for no real reason the other week and my black in the same tank has just dropped her eggs and my berried mishling is still full and ready to drop any day :)

If I remineralise my RO water with the bee shrimp salt, what GH levels should I be getting ?

I would expect it would be similar to my results. If you follow the manufacturers instructions for bee shrimp minerals (200-250 ec) you should get around 4GH