Selective breeding

Dead Can Dance

Heyas,

If I want to breed 2 shrimp, do I just put them in a breeding box when the female has a saddle ?

I thought it can take a while for shrimp to get berried after she has a saddle and you shouldn't keep them in a (small) breeder box for prolonged periods ?

How do you experienced breeders do it ?

I use breeder boxes for my selective breeding because i only have the one tank setup.

Pretty much i select my best male and any positive females and put them into the breeder box with suitable cover and substrate matching the main tank.

Ultimately it comes down to them being happy and old enough to breed. I had 1 male and 5 females recently in breeder box, 2 girls got berried and a 3rd berried but with only like 2 eggs which i put down to too much work my elvis my pimp shrimp :)

I have had my 2 red rili females and male in breeder box for over a week with my CBS female and 3 males. Shrimp have moulted and none have berried :) luck of the draw. When you leave them alone they will do the deed :). I have since allowed my CRS females back into the tank because ultimately it increases my chances of them becoming berried but lowers the chance extremely of being berried to elvis :)

Breeder boxes are ultimately looked at as a short term option tho

Breeder boxes are great if you have limited tanks. Just need to nature the flow/aeration is good, and they'll b ok for a extended period.

I have put 10 mishling in a sudo 2 litre box for 2 months now and every thing seem ok except they have lost there colors and shells are a bit transparant. I ve been asking if it is possible to breed crystals in breeder box but havnt found the answer yet.

I have put 10 mishling in a sudo 2 litre box for 2 months now and every thing seem ok except they have lost there colors and shells are a bit transparant. I ve been asking if it is possible to breed crystals in breeder box but havnt found the answer yet.

I have bred them numerous times but once my girls are berried i transfer them back into the main area of the tank

Definitely possible, But as you yourself noticed, their quality and well being deteriorates. I do the identical process as OzShrimp mentioned, as soon as she's berried, she's back in the main tank....I constantly have 3-4 floating or sudo type for my selective breeding.

where do you get floating ones? I got an aquaone mini float box but it dont float lol