purigen

ineke

• HOF Member

I have just ordered some purigen only 100 ml does anyone use it. The instructions even on the site doesn't give a lot away. If my calculations are right will 100ml treat 400l. can anyone help- My 110 litre tank has tannin stains and I was hoping the purigen might polish the water a bit.

Purigen is my favourite Seachem product, I've been using it for about 15yrs, one bag will be plenty & it will strip all the organic compounds(including tannins) out if the tank & make it crystal clear, you can recharge it when it goes dark, all you need to do is have it sitting in the water flow somewhere. Brilliant product :encouragement:

• HOF Member

I got it because you told me about it before but it is the amount that I'm thinking about. If 100ml will treat 400l I will need to make it into a smaller bag won't I 100ml is too much for 100l? Can you use it all the time? I know you can recharge it but can you overdose with it. More is not necessarily best so should I break it down into a smaller amount?

No you cant overdose it, it's like an organic compound sponge, more is quite often better as it will last longer before you need to recharge it, so as is will be perfect & definitely leave it in all the time :encouragement:

It is a polymer resin

its absorbs and does not release

cannot overdose at all

We use the big bag (I think 200ml)

in a 16lt tank(iq5 lookalike)

• HOF Member

Great thanks Squiggle I thought I might use it in my cubes as well if it works in the big tank just to polish the water a bit better. They are pretty clear but could be a bit better I think the sponges that came with them have holes that a too big to trap the finer particles.

I just realised I only have UG filter and sponge filters in my big tank they wont work with it -I wonder if I wrapped it around the sponge filter would it act like a prefilter?

• HOF Member
It is a polymer resin

its absorbs and does not release

cannot overdose at all

We use the big bag (I think 200ml)

in a 16lt tank(iq5 lookalike)

Thanks 2OFUS I will see how it goes and maybe get enough for all the tanks.

I'm not sure what you could do there cause I've always used it in either a canister or sump, maybe clip it to the glass & have it hang over the air tube, I've used this method with water softener bags in the past. The first time I used Purigen I was so surprised how well it worked, it was like the water was sparking :victorious:

• HOF Member

Thats how my tanks always used to look but after adding IAL and driftwood the sparkle has gone and I want it back. If I cant get it to work in the big tank I will just break it up and use it in the smaller tanks until I get another type of filter for the big one. I have an older eheim internal power filter that has a sponge insert, I could cut one of the sponges and make room for the purigen that should work plenty of flow rate on that baby!!! I use the eheim if I want to clear a new tank overnight works really well but not on tannins!

That's an awesome idea Ineke, that way you can just use it where its needed :victorious:

I will be using some of this in the sump of my new rack. Although I did read about another product that does the same thing and is easier to re-charge. I can't remember the name of it though.

invest in a cheap hob filter you can just hang on the tank when you need it :) thats what i plan on doing to avoid hassle :) that way ican do the same with carbon aswell

I think you're talking about Macropore, yeah it's made in the same factory & yeah it is the same resin but I've seen two products made in the same factory many times before & there is a massive quality difference between the two. There's a lot of debate about how good it is & it's just the same as Purigen & I don't want to start an arguement about the two products but IMO Purigen is much better, lasts longer, recharges better. I've used both & I'm definitely a Purigen boy but that's just my personal preference :encouragement:

Sorry to hijack your thread ineke' date='

Does Purigen remove minerals? ie, will it drop TDS?[/quote']

Definitely not, it only removes organic compounds :encouragement:

Great question though :victorious:

I think you're talking about Macropore' date=' yeah it's made in the same factory & yeah it is the same resin but I've seen two products made in the same factory many times before & there is a massive quality difference between the two. There's a lot of debate about how good it is & it's just the same as Purigen & I don't want to start an arguement about the two products but IMO Purigen is much better, lasts longer, recharges better. I've used both & I'm definitely a Purigen boy but that's just my personal preference :encouragement:[/quote']

Yeah, I think that was it. I haven't used either before so it's get to get opinions of someone who has used both.

• HOF Member
invest in a cheap hob filter you can just hang on the tank when you need it :) thats what i plan on doing to avoid hassle :) that way ican do the same with carbon aswell

Thanks Oz I might just get one of them as I only have an old corner filter and my eheim power filter as backups if I need to clean a tank quickly or my other filters die I would have a spare, having said that I have a heap of sponge filter in case of emergency:encouragement:

i used purigen in my peppermint bristlenose breeding tank when i had a 3ft piece of solid driftwood leach tannins. Cleared up within 24hrs. Just had the recharge process wasnt sure if i added enough lol

i have 2 air pumps i use and i have 3 battery operated air pumps from when i had a black out. Was enough to run my sponges for 4 hours until it was back up

Yeah' date=' I think that was it. I haven't used either before so it's get to get opinions of someone who has used both.[/quote']

Yeah I've been is some serious arguments on another forum with people who swear by Macropore but they haven't ever used Purigen, It's like saying tomatoes taste like crap without ever eating one, lol. It was definitely a silly argument to be in, I just gave up in the end. :dejection: Don't get me wrong, Macropore is a good product but nowhere near as good as Purigen. :encouragement:

is macropore those ceramic like logs that are supposably one of the best surface areas for bacteria colonies?

No Macropore looks exactly the same as Purigen as they are the same resin but it's just the quality that is different :encouragement: There's anew product called Marine Pure that is supposed to eclipse most other products for surface area & biological filtration, also cintered glass is supposed to be the best substrate to use for bio filtration, just hard to find & only lasts a couple of years :victorious:

hmmmm the thing i amthinking of looks like its ceramic kinda white in color and its hollow. When i lived in sydney my LFS was selling them for like 10-15$ each and were apparentlly best used in sump :).

Yeah I think I know what you're describing but they are for bio filtration, whereas Purigen is organic absorbtion :encouragement:

I think the technical name is "ceramic kinda white in color and its hollow filter thingy" :applause: