adding more shrimp to tank and ammonia spike

ineke

• HOF Member

Hi I've just added a large number of shrimp to two existing stable tanks, 1 tank 26 shrimp other tank 16. Would they have an impact on WP .cause any spikes? The tanks are my 28 litre cubes with sump filters and sponge filters. Will I need to do any water tests and changes? Haven't added that many shrimp at one time before, been doing some changes with different shrimp species to stop cross breeding. Thanks:encouragement:

I wouldn't think it will make much difference as shrimp has a small bio load. If you added 500-1000 at once then maybe?

Wouldn't hurt to check the water for the next couple of day anyway.

• HOF Member

Thanks John I will do that, so if there is a spike then I should do a small water change is that right? If it was fish I would have no problems and just do a water change any way but these little creatures I'm not so sure of.

Same principle as fish. If you get a reading on ammonia or nitrates rise above 5 I'd do a 10% water change then re-test the water

• HOF Member

Ok thanks BB I had to add a bit of fresh RO as I was acclimatising the shrimp and taking water from each tank so they should be ok overnight and I will test tomorrow morning and evening so I make sure I catch it if it happens.:encouragement: