Electricity costs of running my tank

NoGi

I finally got off my butt and finished of the monitoring of power consumption on some of my gear. Interesting to see what my tank in its current state is consuming on a daily basis:

post-24-13990986077_thumb.jpg

4ft Tank Specs:

• Custom 48 x 3W CREE LED light running at only half capacity
  • Eheim 250W heater
  • Otto internal filter
  • Eheim 2217 Classic

Half of my LEDs and CO2 are currently off and don’t register in the chart. At around 23 c/kWh the tank is costing me 35c/day or ~$129/year to run.

So there you have it, doesn't cost much at all :applause:

post-34-139909859906_thumb.jpg

Good one! Can't put a dollar value on the enjoyment you get out of it! That's 3 bottles of nice wine or 3 cases of beer! Peanuts!

Though I am glad my tanks are heaps more low tech! If it cost me that much per tank, I would be over $13k per year!

That is true, but the purpose of this exercise was to help justify future tanks ;)

Sent from my phone

And thats exactly why I don't want to know! One tank? Whats that called? Lonely! Shesh, come on mate, how many of us only have one tank? If

I could get my costs down to that I'd be pretty happy, just don't tell the wife! I'm using the whole "I'm trying to reduce our powerbill by putting

in more tanks but more efficiently" to which her response was "ah ha". But making progress now, have the tanks and will be cutting back, honestly.

Very cool graph Nogi, interesting to fin out what it costs to run a tank but I have to agree with BigD, only one tank? you have to pick it up dude, lol :encouragement:

I did have 3 but cut back only to be getting a Fluval Flora later this week. Lol

Besides, the less tanks the less money I need to find to buy shrimps.

Sent from my phone

Nah, that way of thinking is just wrong ;-) MTS is an opportunity, really it is. Just don't look at the powerbill, thats all

Half of my LEDs and CO2 are currently off and don’t register in the chart. At around 23 c/kWh the tank is costing me 35c/day or ~$129/year to run.

So there you have it' date=' doesn't cost much at all :applause:[/quote']

Wow! That's a lot less than I thought :)

Makes me feel like buying a larger canister filter and more lights!

Do it! Do it! Do it! You know you want to, now you have an excuse & proof :victorious: