To carpet or not to carpet.

Robert

Ive managed to attain a large amount of Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis from my Ex (Weird right?) and im really considering planting it in my main 3ft shrimp tank.

Pros:

- Looks

- Water quality

- Biofilm

Cons:

- Permanent

- Visibility

If i decide to rip it out later all the substrate will go crazy and the layers will mix. Could result in a spike in ammonia.

Tank is currently running full ADA New and Co2. Only plant life in the tank is 4 amazon swords.

Help me decide.:dejection:

• HOF Member

That is a really good looking ground cover why would you want to rip it out?

I can't help you on that one dude cause I'm thinking the same things, I would put it in cause it's a great ground cover & looks amazing but when the soil needs replacing it would be a real pain, I just couldn't bring myself to rip it out, sorry I'm not help dude. I hate decisions like this :dejection:

At the moment im so into japanese / taiwanese styled shrimp setups with their simplistic designs. Its such a tough choice for something so simple. Anyone have experience with ground cover in a shrimp set up?

Ground cover works well with the shrimp, but if you are planning to selectively breed shrimp and catch a lot of them in the process, I would avoid it.

Im currently running full ADA substrate with co2 and a thick UG carpet and can say defiantly worth growing the carpet. I've countered the problem of mixing the layers by placing some fibreglass flyscreen over my powersand base ,let's you rip up plants without ripping up the power sand. Maby this can help you

2012-12-23171140_zps648c5cae.jpg20130329_181908_zpsc38949c9.jpg

Your UG carpet is to die for. I think ill plant till 3/4 back to front and just leave a strip along the front so i can see everything when feeding time comes.

• HOF Member

Hsoje that looks awesome and the fibreglass is a great idea because you can just lay it back down on your new substrate:applause:

Good point HeavyD :encouragement: Talk to Nogi, his tank is almost completely covered, he has a hell of a time catching shrimp but it looks awesome :victorious:

The decision is whether your tank is for viewing or breeding. If it's for viewing or BOTH, then go for it. But if its for breeding, espacially selective breeding, then simplicity is the BEST. I use to have a shrimp tank with a think ground cover.....shrimplets LOVED it, as they hid between the substarte and the fronds, but catching and observing them was really tricky.

The other issue is you're not able to then to gravel cleans, if required.

Thats what i figured, 3ft long is more a display without dividers. Gave me a reason to get a new tank made :)

Thats what i figured' date=' 3ft long is more a display without dividers. Gave me a reason to get a new tank made :)[/quote']

Any action that justifies a new tank is good.

Your UG carpet is to die for. I think ill plant till 3/4 back to front and just leave a strip along the front so i can see everything when feeding time comes.

sounds good mate best of both worlds' date=' My suggestion may be if you want the Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis to stay in the straight line put a divider in the substrate otherwise those runners will shoot everywhere, caused me a few troubles in the past.

GL with it mate, show us some photos after.

• 2 weeks later...

regret this decision already, some of you may have seen on forums someone was offloading a huge amount of UG which is a much nicer plant. The carpet plant i just planted has already shot out runners everywhere and now i have to rip it out and replace it all with UG :) something to keep me busy.

Word of advise UG will do the same as with most carpeting plants... UG I have found also to have a ten dance to lift up to over time so make sure to be carefull with your trimming